need keys

wistleofdeath

the noise in Illinois.
well as stupid as this sounds i swear my keys have just grown legs and have runaway to warmer weather. Whats worse is I think that my spare set went with them. Does anyone know if GM can still cut new keys from the VIN number for our cars still, or do I have to do something elese??? Thanks alot

Andy

keys

I'm pretty sure if you take 1 lock cylinder out and take it to an locksmith they can look at the tumblers and make a key off that. Im about 90% sure but Id call and ask first.

I would bet the dealer could cut you a set of keys just from the Vin #. A few months back I had to do the same thing with my Toyota truck. I went to the dealer, gave them the VIN and they cut me a new key. Good luck.

A GM dealer can only cut keys from the VIN on 1989 and newer vehicles. If you can get your ignition lock out the key code is stamped on it but the you are SOL on the the doors and trunk. By the time a locksmith disassembles a door lock to cut you a new key you'll be money ahead by replacing them with a new set.

Eric Fisher

Call all your turbobuick buddies over to your house. Have them try keys in your ride until you find some matches. Then go get copies made.

Thanks

Thanks alot for all the advise I went to advanced autoparts and bought a new ing. Tumbler. I needed a new one anyway, when my car was broken into they messed it up and the insurance copany did not buy me a new one. I could pull my key out while the car was running. It cost me 14 bucks plus 45 min to put it in. As far as the doors and trunk I found a guy that will do it for 12 bucks. Again thanks for the help

Andy

Originally posted by Bandit
Call all your turbobuick buddies over to your house. Have them try keys in your ride until you find some matches. Then go get copies made.

The irony of this is that he is right. They are so bad that when I replaced the ignition cylinder in my wifes '78 Olds Starfire, I later found that the original door key works just fine for the ignition.