Need some advice

buicktom61

Hello,

my name is Thomas and I live in Germany. Since July I am a proud owner of a 86 GN. Bought it on ebay with a rebuild engine ( Diamond Pistons .030, Comp. Cam 212/212, new valve springs, rebuild heads, Chain and sprockets).

After its arrive in September I had a great ride back home from Bremerhaven. After I pulled the last main bearing, because of a massive oil leak, I found bad main bearings. Engine was rebuilt but Maschine shop didn't clean the oil pump and the oil cooler. So a lot of dirt went through the engine again.

Now the engine has all bearings new. While the engine was at the Maschine shop, I bought some goodies.

Here is the list:

TE-61 Turbo
G-Body stock located IC
60 lb injectors from TRE
adjustable fuel pressure valve
Walbro fuel pump
fuel pump hot wire kit Caspers
upgraded TT-Chip
RJC-Powerplate
G-Body 3" downpipe with free flow 2 line 2.5" exhaust
The heads and the intake manifold are mild ported.
Intake has a 4"K&N cold air intake with stock 3"MAF.

That's the combo I have now, but I am not sure if I did it right or if I have to do some more changes.

The Transmission was upgraded with a shift kit and the torque convertor is a re-stalled D-5. I don't know if it fit with the Turbo.

The only thing I want is fun on the road. No races.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Sounds like a good start, what's the fuel like over there? You need a scan master at minimum too for tuning.

If you can I'd get an alky kit from Julio! Also, read as much as you can on vortexbuicks and gnttype.org...

Lots of great info there and here. Oh and whip some euro ass with that beast!!!

Welcome. What size exhaust housing and brand? .63? Garrett will spool quicker than a precision. That turbo might lag a little with that converter but it's a great street turbo. Combo looks good.

Thanks! Lowest fuel is 95. The chip is programmed for that. Have the scanmaster on board.
I am not sure, but think it is a Garrett .63. Will check it.

That will be a fun ride in your area.
I would add a fuel pump hotwire.

It is a Garrett. Have the fuel pump hot wire kit. What stall does the D-5 converter have? What would be a better choice?

Thomas

I believe stock stall is around 2200. See what the rpm is @0/0 and adjust the combo from there, based on your goal.

Ps: I am no expert so consider the advice to be an opinion.

Sorry for the delay. Couldn't get access to my account the last days. Don't know why.

With the stock turbo it runs great with no lag. Never drove with the new combo because of restoration process and winter now.
I don't know to what the convertor was restalled to. Got no infos about that when I bought the car.

when you get it together take the car for a ride and see how you like it,then go from there.if it spools too slow going to a smaller dia/higher stall converter will bring it to life.

With that cam and turbo id go with a 9.5' or 10" converter w/2800+ stall.. imo....

Thomas, have we met? I lived in Germany for a long time and hung out with some of the Buick Club memebers over there.

As for fuel I would try to find 100. Our cars need high octane fuel. 95 Octane in Europe in eqivalent to our 90 Octane. I believe Shell has it.

As for the convertor, PTC is a good choice.

PTC contact: 001-256-383-6868

I don't know if we met together. Maybe on one of our meetings in the Stuttgart or Speyer area. Thanks for the hint with the octane. I will add an octane Booster, if I can't get 100 octane gas here.
I heard that PTC are a good choice, too. What's about an Edge street?

Thomas

Looks like a great combo to me. IF you have some spare change, the BEST thing to get at this point is an Alky kit from Julio. On the street, it makes all the difference. Read my combo below. I am running about 24 lbs on the street with alky and just premium gas. I took it to the track in July in Florida (see avatar pic) and right off the street without lowering the tire pressure, went 11.54. You will love it.

As for fuel I would try to find 100. Our cars need high octane fuel. 95 Octane in Europe in eqivalent to our 90 Octane. I believe Shell has it. .....
I don't disagree with the advice.
How did you determine the octane difference? Trying to learn.

In the United States, pump octane is an average of 2 ratings, research octane (RON) and motor octane (MON). If you look at any gas pump in the United States, you will see a yellow sticker that says "octane by R + M / 2" That is the basic formula for an average. These 2 numbers mean different things. You could make an analogy to that of a blood pressure reading (systolic and diastolic). Research Octane number is always higher than Motor Octane number.
In Europe, they only report the RON. You may hear people discussing that in Europe, the octane is higher. Well, that is not exactly true. You see, in Europe, you might find 96 octane at a local gas station. (wow 96, highest we have here is 94). Well, that 96 is equivalent to 92 here in the States.