Need some turbo advice...

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
My trusty TA-60 started smoking the other day, which prompted me to pull it off. Much to my chagrin, I found oil smeared on the compressor side. Nothing on the turbine side, but I assume it was burned dry since there was some very distinct blue smoke that prompted me to pull it off in the first place. Anyway, I swapped it with a spare TE44 I have laying around with a .63 precision exhaust housing. Surprisingly, the spool up is very slow and I am missing my TA60. Big time.

Question 1) I see that the TE44 and the TA60 have the same exhaust wheel according to this link. Would it be possible to remove the .63 garret exhaust housing from the TA60 and swap it with the precision .63 on the TE44 without machining? They should fit, right?

Question 2)I don't have much room in my turbo budget so I am contemplating rebuilding the TA60 myself. Do you recommend this? I am concerned about the precision required for something that spins at 100,000rpm. Is this something that can be balanced locally, or somewhere on the cheap? Please instill some confidence in me.

Question 3) If all else fails, are there any recommended rebuilders that do a good job for a fair price?

THANKS!:cool::cool:

One of the members on here has his own turbo shop. His name is junkbrick (Reed Partridge) and I've called and talked to him about doing the balancing and assembly of mine. He blew me away with his knowledge and I can PM his info to you if you want.

Thanks Charlie, I actually called Reed @ Work Turbochargers yesterday for an estimate. He is who I will probably go with for a rebuild if there's no option to swap my exhaust housings on the 44.

Anyone have any input on that??

please...

IMO......I'd just have the TA60 rebuilt (professionally). and move on.
By the way, what DP are your running.......I'm suprised that 44 is such a dog.
I just installed a TE60 on my stock motor/trans and she spools pretty good.
It's no raging monster outta the gate, but better than I expected.

Thanks Charlie, I actually called Reed @ Work Turbochargers yesterday for an estimate. He is who I will probably go with for a rebuild if there's no option to swap my exhaust housings on the 44.

Anyone have any input on that??

please...

We are one in the same!

If you get any more questions, drop me a PM or a phone call.

-Reed

Fwiw they both have the same ex wheels. The Garrett housing will wake up any turbo if the converter is marginal.

Exh housings will swap.

You can do your own rebuild. You will need to mic the shaft and the housing to see if either need to be remachined or if you can just replace bearings.

You will have to send it somewhere to be balanced.