need to ship a motor

williambavila

William Avila (The Buick Guy)
i need to ship a motor not sure how?? anyone have any recomendations on comanies or what i need to do..Thanks :confused:

+1 for R&L
If you live close to a terminal that they ship out of you can drop it off there and save yourself $85.00 for a residential pick-up charge. Their customer service people are extremely helpful. Don't hesitate to ask for a discounted rate after they give you a price. They gave me a preferred shipping rate that was awesome when I shipped my new stroker from RPE in Hartford CT. Bobby dropped it at the Hartford terminal and I picked it up locally. Total cost was around $165.00

Bryan

+1 for R&L
If you live close to a terminal that they ship out of you can drop it off there and save yourself $85.00 for a residential pick-up charge. Their customer service people are extremely helpful. Don't hesitate to ask for a discounted rate after they give you a price. They gave me a preferred shipping rate that was awesome when I shipped my new stroker from RPE in Hartford CT. Bobby dropped it at the Hartford terminal and I picked it up locally. Total cost was around $165.00

Bryan

anyone know how much a 3.8 weighs with heads and empty on fluids?? i was thinking 250ish but havent a clue :confused:

I believe the shipping rate i used was 350 including a boxed pallet.

Do a Google search on Forward Air. They should be the least expensive but you have to bring the motor to their terminal and pick it up at the nearest facility that it is being shipped to. I think you can just strip the motor to a skid for shipping.
Jeff

anyone know how much a 3.8 weighs with heads and empty on fluids?? i was thinking 250ish but havent a clue :confused:

I shipped my complete long block from Oakland, Ca to Northridgeville, Ohio with FedEX International (Watkins) and it cost me $600. I think the weight was around 425lbs. I placed it on a a skid that was used for a crate motor and shrink wrapped it. Hope this helps.

Best is Dock to Dock for any of the Major companies like Rodway, Old D, etc, A lot less than them coming to get or deliver.

Just find a 1/2 size smaller pallet behind any company dock (free), buy some good crank straps & use the Large shipping saran wrap.

throw pallat in a pickup truck or trailer, then lift the block on secure and drive to dock. (they will have fork lift).. Make sure person at other end has truck or trailer.

I use a shipping broker at work to send out some pretty large items. They will give you a run down of the carrier and pricing.

Welcome to GlobalTranz

I've sent close to a thousand items through them using usually UPS Freight.

R+L was the worst shipper I ever used. I switched to a different broker for a short time and they had an exclusive with R+L so I was stuck with them. Big mistake. They damaged a few items.....one of them the idiot driver rolled the pallet out onto the liftgate and it just kept going right onto the ground. And one 46" LCD TV mysteriously went "missing". When it came time to pay the claims they wouldn't pay, had to take them to court.