Need ya's help

GnTooFast4u

I don't know much about these hot air Gn's but I have too get my little brother's Gn into the 11's at least, All i know about the car is that he put on a pt 54 turbo, atr 2.5" downpipe, An aftermarket intake(mavbe a V1?) adj. fuel pressure regulator, 87 ecm set-up, comp cam(218,218, 45X lift)and the rest is pretty much stock, the motor only has like a 1000 miles on it, and runs pretty good. I want to stay away from nitrous also. I guess i just need to know what it's gonna take to get this car in the 11's. Thanks for ya's time.

Paul Simmons

hey

its really hard to say im hoping to go low 11's with my setup but i have no idea you can look at my mods in my signature

brent

At this point in time its just not me, but I'd have to say unless youve got something against it, definately go ahead and add an intercooler. It will make things alot easier for you.

Alky is pretty good

If you need a little more boost and want that extra little bit out of your gas, invest the $350 and get the alky inj. kit. SMC sells the kit and they boost your premium gas (104 from sunoco works real good) octane to get less knock, and higher boost out of that turbo. If you dont want the intercooler, invest in a good set of 42.5 lb injectors, and a 307, or 340 pump hotwired, and get that motor cooled down with some fans and a 160 stat.
As for the heads and intake, if they are not ported, think about getting it done. There is a lot of blockage in those pieces and removing a little material will do you good. Good luck, and god bless your noble cause.

John

I don't have anything against intercoolers, but would like to get a complete kit that i can just bolt on, does not matter what it takes to get the car down into 11's but do not want to have to depend on nitrous to do it. The heads are stock, but the intake is not. The car still has manifolds on it, how much of an improvement can i expect from swapping over to a set of Iron Champion heads an atr headers? Also thinking about getting the computer sent of to get modified for 72 lb injectors. Hey Boost 231, how do you like those electric fans from ramchargers? is the install pretty straight foward? Thanks again guys

hey

hey the fans from ramchargers are awsome. my friend is running them on his 87 with a front mount and it droped his coolant temp alot over the stock fans. the only problem with mounting them is you have to cut the 4 ear off of it and make your own mounts but that is really easy to do. i love the fans. from a scale of 1-10 they get a 10 from me

brent

Thanks Boost 231, looks like i'll order those fans tomorrow, where can i get a walbro 340 pump at a decent price. I think i'm gonna do a stall, 72 lb injectors, and that walbro pump, for starts. Thanks again guys.

hey

72's are going to be to big i would go with 50's for your setup

brent

What happens if you get too big of injectors? Is it like having too big of a carb? I just don't want to have to replace them again in the future, I'm gonna try to go all out with his car. Also I hear people talking about locking up the stall convertors in certain gears, can they control when it locks up? I've been told by a local regal performance shop not to get an intercooler on the hot air because there would be too much turbo lag, is this true? Thanks

Paul Simmons

Oh yeah Brent, I ordered those fans today from ramchargers, they seem like pretty cool guys since they still let me get the free harness even though that deal ended in july. What is involved in the wiring? Thanks again for the help man

1Quick85 has a sperco for sale right now. As for lag I wouldn't worry about it. I installed a ford front mount i/c and had alot of piping and noticed no difference in lag. Any lag issues can be solved by a stall convertor. Locking up the convertor is not for me. I think its hard on it and can cause knock. 50 pder's should get you into the low 11's high 10's. I think once you go over 50 that streetablitly issues arise.
Try racetronix for a walbro 340 and hotwire.

I forgot that the champion irons are nice quailty pieces from what I hear. I have a set of aluminums and I can tell you that they are top notch for personal expericence. There are pics in my link in the sig.

Originally posted by GnTooFast4u
I've been told by a local regal performance shop not to get an intercooler on the hot air because there would be too much turbo lag, is this true? Thanks

do yourself a favor and don't bother asking those guys any more questions about hotairs.they obviously don't know sh!t about them.

a properly tuned hotair with an intercooler won't have any more lag or idle better/worse than any other turbo regal.you might hear different from people who don't know what they're talking about or those who don't know how to tune...:rolleyes:

you're on the right track with the ported heads and aftermarket headers/downpipe.especially if you've already got an aftermarket intake.i'd buy the whole kit from atr,the 2.5# downpipe is plenty.

like was said,72's are way overboard,you're better off to buy a set of 50's and spend the extra $$$ on a 16 position maxeffort chip for them.

i have a feeling you're serious about making this car run 11's,and it is possible even without an intercooler.it will take some effort and a bit of a learning curve but it is definitely doable.

later,sean

Thanks for the info Sean, Looks like i will be doing an intercooler but later on down the road, gonna get the basic stuff out of the way first and then intercool it. Do you guys know anything about those new siemens 57lb high Z injectors? They kinda caught my eye. Catch ya later

I just finished lowering the car 2inches up front, and 1.5 in the back, and replaced the shocks it looks so sweet. Also fixed an exhaust leak, and man that makes a huge performance difference, it spools up way faster now. I need to get you guys some pics i guess. Also just one question, the rear end feels as though is moves around when i put it in gear and take off, it has always done this, any one have any ideas? Thanks again

Paul Simmons

Please don/t be offended by this. Let me get this straight. You want to run in the 11/s, so one of the first things you do is lower the car 2 in. You better make some serious HP. because weight transfer just went out the window. That reminds me of my LSI friend who lowered the car and bought some drag radials. He can not figure out why he can/t get a decent 60 ft.

Well, guess i shoulda thought about that, thanks for the info lee. A buddy of mine donated the springs and spindles so i figured i throw them on there. Looks like i'll raise it back up when i start running it at the track. Lee, I remember hearing my little brother talk about you all the time, he said you had the fastest hot-air, is this the same Lee? Also how badly is the car going to suffer off the line now that it is lowered?

hey turbwrench head well im glad to hear someone has a good word on them champion heads i was emailin champion racing heads for info on them on the complete kit they offer for like $1,695 and didnt get a response do the heads fit on directly on a 85 3.8 block ? when u ordered ur heads did u get the complete kit? if so what does that include ? valve springs, pushrods, rockers arms? etc...... what did u get?