Netbook install for XFI

Gnology

I got tired of the huge laptop in the passenger seat, so I bought this asus netbook and custom mounted it. It weighs under 3 pounds and works great for XFI. Tested a few passes, worked great so far at 1.7 60fts.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 239
I downloaded from fuelairspark.com, but another other way would be to use flash drive. I suppose if you had a external cd rom that would work as well.

I downloaded from fuelairspark.com, but another other way would be to use flash drive. I suppose if you had a external cd rom that would work as well.

Thanks, I keep seeing these super small laptops for cheap and wondered if I could run them instead of a regular one, now i know.

How did you mount it? I am thinking about upgrading mine from the Samsung UMPC that I was using as long as the asus has built-in bluetooth.

One thing that I really like about my Q1 is that I found a bluetooth serial dongle that plugs into the FAST XFI serial port and converts the RS232 to bluetooth and then I can use the built-in bluetooth serial device class on my Q1.

Very cool walking around with my samsung Q1 wireless monitoring engine parameters in real time during dyno's. Also no communication wires to dangle from the computer to the XFI... Communicates through bluetooth.

Don

Using the top two bolts on the a/c control box, I bent two braces around the top of the dash and drilled holes into the braces and the back of the netbook (in a safe spot). I also had to slightly modify (cut) the a/c stereo faceplate to fit the braces. I'm working on a quick release now.

This 8.9 inch asus does not have bt. There are 10 inch asus computers that do. I like the smaller version. It has 3 usbs, so the bt could still be added.
Great idea with the BT!

Attachments

• IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 178
Looks cool, How is it as far as visibility? I know once I get my helmet on and get focused on the track, it's hard to divert my eyes down and to the right. Have you tried it with a helmet?

Honestly, when I get my helmet on i'm the same way. However, in staging lanes it's fine. I take a last look at the numbers, make sure it's set to trigger. Once I stage, I just watch my boost guage and the lights. I definately wouldn't try to use these guages or try to read screen going down the track...hehe.

Why don't you get the internal datalogger for the XFI and you won't need a laptop anymore going down the track.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I suppose I just like the best of both worlds IMO. The datalogger in the laptop as well as seeing the guages and dashboards pre/post race and on the street. You still have to plug in a laptop at some time... Not to mention I like the screen saver, the navigation, excel spreadsheets for doing work as I drive down the road...hehe.