New Alternator help

Mike Mags

I just orereda new chrome alternator from Kirbans.
What exactly are the steps for removeing the old alternator and installing the new one?
Do i need to set the belt tension?

Thanks guys

Disconnect the ground cable on the battery
Remove the wire on the back of the alternator
Unplug the small brown wire that slips into the notch on top of the alternator.
Take an 18 mm wrench and put it on the nut on the idler pulley and swing the pulley in whichever way it takes to release the tension on the belt and slip the belt off the alternator pulley. (there is no adjustment, only the spring tension of the idler pulley against the back of the belt.
Remove the bolts that hold the alternator in place and swap it out...

Use the 18mm wrench to swing the tensioner pulley again and slip the belt over the alternator pulley and continue to work backwards until you have reconnected the battery ground...

Thanks steve,
which pulley is the idler pulley? Thanks for some very basic information, I'm still learning, but loving it!

When Steve refers to "idler pulley", he means the "tensioner". It's easy to see which one it is, because it's the only pulley that will not be attached to an accessory or the crank. It's to the left of the altenator, and has an 18mm nut on it. It is attached to the aluminum bracket setup that holds the accessories. You can't miss it. Changing an altenator on these cars is very straight forward, and very simple. I was pleasantly suprised many years ago, when I did my first. However, looking at the time now, you've probably already completed it, so this post may be useless. Anyway, there ya' go...

yep, I am not very consistent in calling it the same thing. :)

It is right next to the a/c compressor pulley just below the alternator.

Steve:
I see you're in Houston. Will you be going to the Buick Club cruise tonight? I am goig to attempt to stop by, but my GN is still being rebuilt, so I'll be in my 99 Z28. Hopefully they'll still let me in... ;)

Actually, I need to change my profile...I recently moved to my farm out in west Texas near San Angelo. So, nope, I won't be there.....:)