NEW Aluminum Brake drums

hmmmmm ..no way a $100 for a pair that I can see.. guess we will just have to wait :cool: the last pr of used ones I sold were a $100 .. last set of NOS GM in the box I sold for $300+ (prob 3-4 years ago) :eek:

Tired of supporting China.

Sorry Guys I posted this last night guess it didn't go thru.
4 hour meeting yesterday
This company is building aluminum hands for a glove company. They will be building several 100 thousand hands. I always wondered how they made gloves LOL
Any way we will have to buy 500 sets or 1000 aluminum drums. What they are willing to do is buy aluminum in bulk the same time the contract is awarded after the first.
This will keep our pricing lower.
Talked to several f-body companies & other Gbody vendors in interest. They are.
To answer your question s-10's all Gbodies & F bodies have the same bolt pattern & will interchange.

We have to pay for the molds. After the first 1000 run the price should drop a few $.
I'm putting the mold fee in the first 1000.
They watch the aluminum & steel market daily. When they find it low which should be even lower after the first, they will nail down a price on the mold & the drum.
The steel insert will be just like original.

GNocide: Brian relax,
I know but you get burnt out when you try keeping it local. That way we have a hand in what is going on.

TurboDave & Heath Tired of supporting China. :
I think I know how you feel!. It seems now days that so very few really care about high quality and the costs involved. It all comes around to "how cheap can I get it". Fit and finish be damned.

Exactly! we will travel 30 minutes to make sure everything is correct & be able to test on different applications.
The best thing is there is a huge Steel manufacturing company 20 minutes away. So raw product can be bought there & transport fees will be minimal.

All I can say is AHOSKIE,NC who new LOL:cool:

There is a reason I haven't named my suppliers. I think this will nail us down to exclusives on everything we build.

I have spoke with Shane & Jay & we might be getting the twin turbo headers built there as well.

This company builds wheels. Custom work isn't a problem either. I saw on their walls Bikes they built frames for ,wheels for, powder coated the parts for it & they are on the cover of the magazine.
Didn't build the entire bike but Manufactured everything for it.

Their operations have dropped alot in the last several years due to exports to China(90%). We are hoping to work on items that will save the Buicks & Gbodies & other cars that interchange.
They have built parts for black & decker de-walt,Bosch etc. The list goes on.
There equipment & facalities are paid for & are working on a skeleton crew. This hopefully will keep prices down.

No I do not have a definite $ yet or a ball park. But they want to work with us for a long time. I let them know what used sold for, new sold for & they feel confident at 1000 they can get us where we need to be.

hmmmmm ..no way a $100 for a pair that I can see.. guess we will just have to wait :cool: the last pr of used ones I sold were a $100 .. last set of NOS GM in the box I sold for $300+ (prob 3-4 years ago) :eek:

Dan they sold for about $125 each new. We are shooting for the same price as it was 6 years ago.
I should of kept it quiet & send Dan & I have 1000 pairs of new drums for $350 a set LOL
Merry Christmas Dan Haven't talked to you in a while.

So if this aluminum drum thing works out could this lead to other aluminum g body parts as well? aluminum radiator support, cutlass aluminum hood, deck lid, 16 inch and taller gn and t type wheels, etc. Just naming some stuff, but the taller t type wheels would be awesome:cool: I'd definitely start putting cash away for those if something like that was coming up

aluminum parts.

I would be interested in all those ALUMINUM parts , instead of buying fiberglass in a near future.

So if this aluminum drum thing works out could this lead to other aluminum g body parts as well? aluminum radiator support, cutlass aluminum hood, deck lid, 16 inch and taller gn and t type wheels, etc. Just naming some stuff, but the taller t type wheels would be awesome:cool: I'd definitely start putting cash away for those if something like that was coming up

this is great
agreed

Brian,
I'd be good for a set or 2. I appreciate the initiative that you have to take on projects like this. Keeping it all Made in the USA is even more reason to buy from you.
Kevin

Don't the alum drums make your wheels stick out a little more? I think I read like a 1/4"?

they do make them new again but they are pricey:eek:
GM Parts - Pontiac - Buick - Gmc - Chevrolet - Oldsmobile - New GM Parts

Home Log In Your Account Catalogs Auctions Shopping Cart Order Status Contact Us About Us Policies

Select Catalog: View All CatalogsCollisionMechanicalGM ACCESSORIESGMC TRUCK ACCESSORIESPERFORMANCE PARTS

Search by OEM Part Number:
(Select Make)BuickCadillacChevrolet/GeoDaewooGMCHummerIsuzuOldsmobilePontiac
Multi-Part Search

Mechanical Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
1255496 $224.20 $0.00 $170.39
Brakes - Brake components - Rear brakes - Drum
Drum, buick, lesabre, estate wagon, 9 1/2" brakes, aluminum 1984 - 1985

Add to Cart Contact Us
Drum, chevrolet, olds, pont, 9 1/2" brake, aluminum 1984 - 1990

Add to Cart Contact Us
Drum, aluminum 1984

Add to Cart Contact Us
OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price

Brakes Brake components Rear brakes Drum Aluminum

Add to Cart Contact Us

Installation instructions printed directly from the manufacturers service manual available for most models

at no additional charge, ask for yours today!

If you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us @ 1-866-363-PART(7278)

Our family goes out of our way not to buy things from China, once we were enlightened on the entire big picture it was an easy choice. I'll pay 3x as much for a QUALITY product that fits and works right out of the box. Something I might or might not get with China products. USA all the way!
Mike
86 GN

And that's probably 170 bucks each:eek: . That's more than a nitto drag radial:eek: . It will cost more to stop your buick than make it go;)

well then if i were going into business this is what i would shoot for-

qaulity product at a discount cheap enough to be under that price of $170 and still make a profit-
how far under?
a compromise price most could live with- maybe it can be done or not?

capitalism at its best

That won't happen.

Last time I checked, cast Iron Drums were $22.

Nobody will make Aluminum Drums for $30, not even China.

Wow I didn't think the iron parts would be that cheap these days. I Haven't bought any drums in probably 15 years so I'm a bit out of touch... either way I'd still be interested in an aluminum part.

Hydroboost Conversion

Those Alum Drums Are "cool". Most Of The Problems With Brakes On All Cars, Not Just American, Is That The Factories Lower The Rear Brake Pressure To Prevent Rear Lock-up. When The Car Locks Up, Especially On Wet Roads, It Will Spin Out, Or, Cause Head-on Colisions. By Reducing Rear Brake Pressure, The Rotor Heat Goes Way Up, Because Of Sending 80% Of The Brake Pressure To The Fronts. They Burn Pads, Warp Rotors, And Wear Out. The Reasion We Started Using The S10 7/8" Rear Wheel Cyls In 1987, Was To Bring The Brake Pressure To The Rears. This Takes The Heat Off Of The Rotors. This Is Especially Important On Trucks, Like The Suburbans. F350's And Such. For Those Who Do Not Want To Change Their Rear Axles, Or To Rear Discs, We Like The Hydroboost Brake System. It Delivers The Pressure Needed To Stop The Car Quickly, Reducing Overall Heat. The Average G.n. Would Be Happy With The Hydroboost, The 7/8" Cyls, And Quality Parts All Around. Alum Drums Are Great, Too. For Constant Stopping At High Speeds, The S10 Dual Piston Brake Is A Nice And Durable Upgrade. It's All About Equalized Stopping Pressure, And Over All Pressure. Heat Becomes A Factor With Constant High Speed Use.

I Tried The China Rear Drums ,after A Couple Of High Speed Stops ,the 2 Drums Warped Badly ,,this Is With 7/8 Wheel Cylinders.s And Standard Linings....they Could Not Take The Heat Or I Was Just To Agressive On The Pedal

Though I like the idea of having new aluminum drums available for even say $175 a pair, I don't think the GN community is going to help sell many kits if you need 500 pairs made.

You probably already know that the other vehicles that these fit on are going to help you get back your investment. Which at 1000 total pieces with tooling, is probably a figure I would say you are nuts for considering taking on by yourself.

I will be the devils ( business ) advocate for you, don't do it unless you have help and tons of prebuys on the other car boards.

Those Alum Drums Are "cool". Most Of The Problems With Brakes On All Cars, Not Just American, Is That The Factories Lower The Rear Brake Pressure To Prevent Rear Lock-up. When The Car Locks Up, Especially On Wet Roads, It Will Spin Out, Or, Cause Head-on Colisions. By Reducing Rear Brake Pressure, The Rotor Heat Goes Way Up, Because Of Sending 80% Of The Brake Pressure To The Fronts. They Burn Pads, Warp Rotors, And Wear Out. The Reasion We Started Using The S10 7/8" Rear Wheel Cyls In 1987, Was To Bring The Brake Pressure To The Rears. This Takes The Heat Off Of The Rotors. This Is Especially Important On Trucks, Like The Suburbans. F350's And Such. For Those Who Do Not Want To Change Their Rear Axles, Or To Rear Discs, We Like The Hydroboost Brake System. It Delivers The Pressure Needed To Stop The Car Quickly, Reducing Overall Heat. The Average G.n. Would Be Happy With The Hydroboost, The 7/8" Cyls, And Quality Parts All Around. Alum Drums Are Great, Too. For Constant Stopping At High Speeds, The S10 Dual Piston Brake Is A Nice And Durable Upgrade. It's All About Equalized Stopping Pressure, And Over All Pressure. Heat Becomes A Factor With Constant High Speed Use.

Huh???:confused: Talk about hi-jacking! Quit trying to sell your parts on a paying vendors thread.

You do know that aluminum drums were used on G-bodys with hydraboost too? And that there is a steel liner inside those aluminum drums. Your comment has no relevence to this thread.:mad: