New Engine VERY hot, ideas?

dthrock

I got the new rebuilt engine back yesterday but it is running very hot, over 200 degrees. Any ideas whats going on here? We put a new oil and water pump in, Im assuming a stock GM one, but Ill find out today. Also upgraded the turbo and injectors to whats in sig.

Before the upgrade it would stay between 160 and 180 most of the time. It got as high as 210 on the DS last night with outside temps in the 80s. Coolant is full with plenty in the overflow. I havent got to tune the car yet as it wont stay cool enough, its still running rough. All suggestions welcome. Engine now has about 50 miles on it.

Dave

HOT HOT??

What else is DS telling you? WAAY FAT??, fan coming on? Fan not wired backwards? Air lock in the cooling system? Try idling the engine w/ the cap off and see if it throws air out and the level drops.. keep adding H20 til full and stays there.
Stat in backwards? Lower hose collapsing due to no wire in it?

Running rough.. way lean due to a vac. leak?? Egr stuck open? Low batt volts? Cam sensor in 180* off.. running fat due to batch fire?
P.rods too long.. causing valves to hang open??
Cam in and degreed right?
Rad sat dried out while engine was rebuilt? Could be crud hardened in the core flues.
Rad cleaned for new engine??

Let us see more from the scan tool and above ideas.

Found the plastic vaccum Y on the turbo backwards, fixed that. Cleaned up the puck on the waste gate, put in a new O2 sensor. The car is still running warm, but I think it has other problems. I cant get it to bring up boost. It stutters and surges when you get more than 0 boost .

You can find a DirectScan file here http://65.68.180.4/~dthrock/ds51602

The car was completely warmed up. The chip in it presently is a mild chip I was using for break-in. I reset the ecm before I took this drive, then just drove around for about 10 minutes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

Did you put a new thermostat in? sounds like coolant isnt circulating right. Air in the system, stuck thermo, etc. Did it stay at 210 and not go any higher or did it hit 210 and you shut it down before it had a chance to go higher?

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Did you put a new thermostat in? sounds like coolant isnt circulating right. Air in the system, stuck thermo, etc. Did it stay at 210 and not go any higher or did it hit 210 and you shut it down before it had a chance to go higher?

It is a new thermostat. It goes to about 200 to 210 and stays there, but I havent been running it hard at all. Thats just driving around town. Im not to worried about the temp now, I think there is something else wrong. Maybe a wiped lobe on the cam. The garage that put the engine back in the car tried to start it with the chip for the old engine in it. Im wondring if that might have messed something up. I know you need to start it and bring the engine up in rpms right away to get oil to the cam. I really hope not since I cant afford to pull the engine back out and redo any of this stuff.

As for the DS file, I dont know what the problem is. It works when I click the link. Might try to right click on it and do a 'Save As'

Dave

If the cam lobe was wiped it would not cause the engine to run hot. The engine would be backfiring under acceleration because it cant get the valves open and get the exhaust out.
The chip should not matter as cam break in should be done with no load on the motor. Check for the simple things like loose connections and ground problems common to engine removals. Did the shop do the whole rebuild? If so drop the car on their doorstep

Engine install??

Has the "garage" that did the install, ever done a GN b4?? I'd be looking for several things if they haven't!
1. MAF in backwards, damaged?
2. Grounds left off of head, not allowing fan to work?
3. Inj harness on wrong injectors?
4. Coil and module not grounded?
5. Fuel line pinched, twisted?
6. Cat plugged up?
7. Vac lines in wrong places?
8. Intake gasket and other gaskets on wrong?
9. Cam sensor set CORRECTLY???

IS the chip burned for the 50's??
Is the alky being siphoned into the engine?
If it won't build boost, it's most likely too fat?? A chip for stock injectors will do that w/ 50#'rs in the engine.

Suggest you find someone in your area that does GN's to take the car to B4 you find it in a basket....