New GN owner need some advice

PDMRACING

View attachment 207305 Buick 1 Collage.jpgSAM_1710.JPG Just got my 2 owner 87 GN Thursday. I ordered Kirbans Guide and already paid for itself on day one.

I have a few issues:

1) The green two connectors coming from the alternator were plugged together. I un plugged them & the tach started working again. Is there any damage because of that/

2) The brakes work great, yet when cold the brake lite flashes. Also upon first touch the light blinks but repeated use no light & great brakes. the PO said that the power master was replaced.

3) maybe brake related , there is a clicking sound, sort of sounds like a relay clicking coming from the drivers side front.

4) it had a vacuum line cracked going to the fuel regulator? what does that line do?

5)How does the alarm work? or turn off for that matter.

Sorry for the questions. Any help would be appreciated. Any other stuff you can see wrong or obviose let me know.
I need the intake flex hose & there looks like a K&N cone in the stock airbox .

Thanks again & I look forward to driving the beast.

Attachments

• SAM_1724.JPG
    SAM_1724.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 312
  • SAM_1696.JPG
    SAM_1696.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 315
  • SAM_1721.JPG
    SAM_1721.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 309
  • SAM_1718.JPG
    SAM_1718.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 296
  • SAM_1691.JPG
    SAM_1691.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 298
  • SAM_1718.JPG
    SAM_1718.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 295
  • SAM_1712.JPG
    SAM_1712.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 297
  • SAM_1720.JPG
    SAM_1720.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 288
Looks like you got one of the last ones made. 11/87 That vacuum line going to the fuel regulator needs to be replaced as soon as possible if it is cracked. Makes fuel pressure go up when getting into boost. What is up with oil filler cap? Never saw one like that.

Thanks,
I changed the little rubber v hose already. Thanks for answering that question?
I don't know about the oil filler, It has a hose to know where on it.
I have a suspicion that the car was cannibalized when I had it shipped, as it sat in their yard for a week.
But that's another story, I'm staying positive. LOL

Looks like you got one of the last ones made. 11/87 That vacuum line going to the fuel regulator needs to be replaced as soon as possible if it is cracked. Makes fuel pressure go up when getting into boost. What is up with oil filler cap? Never saw one like that.

X2 on the FPR line.
That's almost dangerous.
Do yourself a favor and touch as many of the black rubber vacuum lines - if they leave charcoal on your finger - replace them- stat.

That is indeed one odd looking oil fill breather.
For a stock setup - it appears someone modded a do-it-yourself evac system.
Where does the other end of that line go?

The brakes
When you say cold - you mean cold start or like 20 degrees cold? (Where isn't it cold right now though)
And the flashing light is before you apply brake pedal - or after?
Generally - it means the pressure switch is sensing low pressure.
Either accumulator, the swtich, or....other
We can link you to a whole series of diagnostic threads and database for PowerMonster troubleshooting.

The click.
You mean - click on and click off repeatedly? - or just click.
FP relay is my guess.
Passenger side inner fender - closest to the MAP sensor

Thanks,
I changed the little rubber v hose already. Thanks for answering that question?
I have a suspicion that the car was cannibalized when I had it shipped, as it sat in their yard for a week.
But that's another story, I'm staying positive. LOL

Not that it is a big deal - but I like to use a length of clear or almost clear (blue in my case) vacuum line to the FPR.
That way - should the diaphram ever leak - you will spot fuel in the line.
But the good ones are pretty reliable.

X2 on the FPR line.
That's almost dangerous.
Do yourself a favor and touch as many of the black rubber vacuum lines - if they leave charcoal on your finger - replace them- stat.

That is indeed one odd looking oil fill breather.
For a stock setup - it appears someone modded a do-it-yourself evac system.
Where does the other end of that line go?

The brakes
When you say cold - you mean cold start or like 20 degrees cold? (Where isn't it cold right now though)
And the flashing light is before you apply brake pedal - or after?
Generally - it means the pressure switch is sensing low pressure.
Either accumulator, the swtich, or....other
We can link you to a whole series of diagnostic threads and database for PowerMonster troubleshooting.

The click.
You mean - click on and click off repeatedly? - or just click.
FP relay is my guess.
Passenger side inner fender - closest to the MAP sensor

I would also.zip tie all vac lines..fuel pressure regulator one and the map.sensor one especially! A scanmaster is always a must if its not equipped with one. Lots of other atuff but go to http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/ and do.lots of reading...

Thanks,

LOL @ "to know where."
It can't go far.
Maybe it is simple a bare end tucked away in someplace.
Clearly it runs toward the firewall near the PowerMonster....where does it head to after that?
It's kinda cool looking and I'm sure inquiring minds would like to know how it's rigged up.

Welcome to the home of Turbo Buicks, do yourself a favor and get a Scanmaster, these cars are tough to work on without the info one would provide. Sam

on the breather it leads to nowhere it just ends

10-4 on all the other lines

The brakes.
Cold start it lights up first application. Then it will flash upon first application. On Highway nothing , if repeated slowing down, like in traffic, mayflicker upon first application and no lite after.

Clicking. When Starting cold & idling, you hear a clicking repeatedly , Almost sounds like under the dash. Definitely not exhaust. Could it be brakes?

Thanks

For the factory alarm- you arm it when do is open and press lock on power lock button. Security light then goes from flashing to solid. Close door. Security light will stay on for approx 30 seconds and turn off. To disarm the alarm simply unlock it with the key in door. That easy..

LOL @ "to know where."
It can't go far.
Maybe it is simple a bare end tucked away in someplace.
Clearly it runs toward the firewall near the PowerMonster....where does it head to after that?
It's kinda cool looking and I'm sure inquiring minds would like to know how it's rigged up.

No where! ( I know) it ends by the firewall, just tucked there. No signs of it ever being connected to anything else.......... that I can see... yet.
I'm still exploring & nut & bolting everything.

For the factory alarm- you arm it when do is open and press lock on power lock button. Security light then goes from flashing to solid. Close door. Security light will stay on for approx 30 seconds and turn off. To disarm the alarm simply unlock it with the key in door. That easy..

Ah Iknow understand how to make it stop. a I blew it off at 1:30 last nite

Mine will not shut off with the key. Need to disconnect the bat. Is the switch on the end of the lock cylinder ?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The switch is at the end of the lock cylinder, maybe yours has come off turboluver? Does it shut off when you use the key on the other side? Factory alarm is the only thing that saved my GN from being stolen the first week I had it.

X2 on the zip ties! Mine even blew the hose to the FP reg off on top of the throttle body!

Can't shut it off with passager side either. I will deal with it in the spring. I have an aftermarket alarm also. Plus ignition cut out switch. Thanks for the info

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Look at photo #119. Your brake fluid is way too high in the front bowl. It should only be about 1/2" above the bottom of the bowl. The way you have it now, if there is any fluid in the accumulator ball and you hit the brakes, the fluid from the ball will come out and cause the brake fluid to overflow because you have it too high.

Correction---As you look at the brake fluid reservoir from the front of the car, the 1/2" of fluid should be in the left side portion of the bowl.

Look at photo #119. Your brake fluid is way too high in the front bowl. It should only be about 1/2" above the bottom of the bowl. The way you have it now, if there is any fluid in the accumulator ball and you hit the brakes, the fluid from the ball will come out and cause the brake fluid to overflow because you have it too high.

So I should syphon some off which bowl in the reservoir?
thank you