new gn owner

Dzdave

just purchased tonight 87 gn 19,000 mi stock real clean stock paint just needs a little detail been sitting for a while , drove home tonight from bothel in rain wow almost wrecked into guardrail when I pinned the throttle going up hill . what kind of tools or software is the best to monitor engine vitals ? what would be the best mod to do first ? sorry for dumb questions but Iam a newbie . Thanks Dave :D

That's awesome, Big Dave! Congratulations and welcome to the dark side.

There are absolutely ZERO dumb questions, especially with these specialty cars. We're here to help.

Best advice is to read everything you can on GNTTYPE and TurboBuick - including archives on particular subjects. Next, get together with us locals sometime so we can check out this beauty and give ya all kinds of tips.

The preferred approach is to get all the basics done first to get it in excellent tune, e.g. Spring Cleaning from GNTTYPE. Now you're ready to do the baseline mods like fuel pump, hot wire to fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, K&N cone air filter, adjustable waste gate. Recommended tuning tools are boost gauge and Scanmaster. I never found a knock gauge to be accurate enough, so I really recommend a Scanmaster for monitoring knock while driving plus the ease of tuning.

It already sounds like traction is already a problem (certainly true if it's original Eagle tires), so investing in good ultra-high performance tires or drag radials would be beneficial.

Now the real fun mods begin: chip, exhaust, turbo, injectors...and off ya go depending on your goals.

There's quite a few very good vendors that have excellent products to persuade you to lighten your wallet. Check out Kirban, Cottons, ATR, Ramchargers

Have fun! I'll email you a bunch of helpful stuff that I've accumilated over the years.

Dave....welcome!

Glad to see more GN owners in the Puget Sound area....especially on this site.

Like Dan said, read as much as you can and dont be afraid to ask a bunch of questions. There are a lot of good info to be found right here.

Bill

The search feature is AWESOME! SCANMASTER!!! That is the FIRST thing to buy. Then "spring cleaning" is a must. Good luck! Any questions, we're all here.

Thanks Guys ,
let me know when you have another local get together , if it ever stops raining around here !! /big Dave

Congrats on the buy Dave!

Once you get the basics done like Dan mentioned, you should watch for "Parts for Sale" here in the Pac. NW. Nobody gets tired of new parts faster than Bill!

Come to think of it, I think I am going to have some like new 36# injectors and chips for sale real soon......

Chris

April "special" in March!

I am thinking I should have went to 55's. With my ported heads, cam, etc...I think I will be pushing the 50's to the limit. We'll see, maybe they will be an April special....:D :D :D

Dave, saw a couple of scanmaster's for sale in the parts section, $200 or less. I think they are around $300 new.

Scanmaster....

They are $249 brand new from Ramchargers. Nothing wrong with getting a used one and save a few bucks as long as it is one of the "newer" versions....Scanmaster2.1

I get ripped off on that too! That was before I met Bill and Frank, now I know better. Unfortunately Dave, that probably isn't something Bill will be selling real soon. Or Bill, do you need Turbo-link? I have an old laptop laying around for you........

Chris

Turbolink???

I have a Turbolink 3.0.2 but yes I am lacking the laptop. The one I used to have had some issues so I took it back....gotta love Costco! :D

If you want to donate a laptop, you are more than welcome to use the Turbolink. It's great for fine tuning your setup.

Dave, Chris is right about me always having good stuff for sale cheap. I got the "boost" bug and have a problem with buying everything I see that seems like a good deal. This has caused me to have too many parts for one car....if I like you, I will usually make you a killer deal on parts....right Chris, Dan, and Frank? ;)

I will second that, he will make you a killer deal on parts!

I will bring the laptop up on the 29th.

Chris

Dzdave,

Congrats on the new G.N. just curious how you found it - through the paper, autotrader?? The reason I'm asking is I used to live in the Bothell/MillCreek area.

I know if/when the weather turns nice the Lake Stevens "posse"
;) heads down to the Burger Master in Mill Creek.

When I first bought mine (about 4 yrs ago) I went to the Burger King in Lynnwood one Friday night to the carshow. When I was there some guy (who thinks that he's making 800+h.p. o on 87 Arco pump gas) was trying to get me to line up against him - passed on it .

Anyways, someone in the crowd told him not to mess w/a G.N. cause you don't know if that car runs 10's or stock.. :D :D :D

Mike:

Mike, where have you been lately? I haven't seen you post anything since dyno day.

Not much of a "posse". Frank and I will "go on the prowl" occasionally, but Dan doesn't come out too often....:D :D :D

I will usually make you a killer deal on parts....right Chris, Dan, and Frank?

That's right. Bill is the best "vendor" I've ever dealt with. Like new parts at a great price. Best kind of friend to know.;)
I still hold Bill accountable for making me faster !

"doesn't come out too often" - Bill
Hey, I make it out most of the time I'm invited. I thought you just did't want me around to slow down you fast guys.
:cool:

haha....too funny!!!

Dan, actually Frank should get all the credit! If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be buying so much stuff that I end up selling!!! :D

Dan, you know you are always invited....infact, if you are not doing anything tomorrow afternoon (weather permiting) wanna take a cruise out to Lynnwood?

Well I guess I've been gone for awhile

Dave,

Glad to hear that the search is over for a clean GN. 19,000 miles, wow! what a find:)

When will you be up for a cruise on the town? Give me a week and my PT-51 will be back and on the GN so, I will definetly be ready to show a little "Monte" power on the streets.

Wife is gabbing to much so, I'll talk to you later.

FS

Sounds good Frank , have a few questions to ask you . My car seems to run real well stock , your car must me crazy fast . I think my 69z is going to get jealous !!! haha talk too ya soon Big Dave :D