New GT6131E install questions

Dr_Grandntl

Guys, I am considering purchasing a new GT6131E regular journal bearing turbo and I wanted to know if it is a simple install. I am replacing the stocker and I have a 3" ATR DP. Anything I need to modify??

Dan

Guys, I am considering purchasing a new GT6131E regular journal bearing turbo and I wanted to know if it is a simple install. I am replacing the stocker and I have a 3" ATR DP. Anything I need to modify??

Dan

Nope. Just basic hand tools and about 45 minutes.

I would also replace the feed line as maintenance, sometimes they get build up of the years, reducing flow. Easy and cheap enough. The most frustrating part of reinstall is getting the drain tube bolts in, next time I will install two studs and use nuts instead of the original bolts. That way I can just slip the drain tube onto the studs, run the nuts on with my fingers and tighten. Trying to get the bolts in straight with the tubes resistance can be difficult.

I was suprised that all the main nuts/bolts came out fairly easily. I did use plenty of PB Blaster prior to the job though. Everything took about 90 minutes with at LEAST 30 of those minutes spent messing with the drain tube bolts. Use studs, or better yet, assuming you have the old drain tube still...get a drain kit from a supporting vender that has the billet adapter/studs & nuts/flex hose, etc.

Good luck

...get a drain kit from a supporting vender that has the billet adapter/studs & nuts/flex hose, etc.

Good luck

That is a very good point. It is a stainless braided flexible hose that makes life much easier.

Nasty - After reading your post it reminds me the first time I did a turbo swap. Everything was back together with the exception of that drain tube and I was about to scream thinking how insane it was to get it bolted back up. Needless to say I do not use factory ones anymore.;)

Which vendors sell the drain line kits I don't recall seeing them in my usual parts browsing recently...

Thanks Guys. I appreciate your advise. I'll order the new kit and save myself some aggrevation.

Dan:biggrin:

i also have the oil drain from gbody parts and I was able to put the oil return on before puttin the turbo onto the manifold hardest part for me was gettin the gasket to stay in place. luckly i had some permatex layin around put a lil bit on the edges of the gasket and stayed in place and smooth sailin from there