• Stay where you are at and hope things will get better

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Time to move on, take the job.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Stay where you are and look for something that pays more

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
Mark,

Speaking from experience I know what your going through is not easy. After you go through the logical decision making process and the smoke clears you realize that you have made a decision based on several factors, security, money and stress. Much like these wonderful cars we drive, it is going to take the right combination of the above to make you happy. Yet there is always that Test and Tune process you must go through to find out which is the right combination. Just keep in mind when you stress out too much, same as our wonderful cars, you can destroy the very engine that drives you. This is not good. My point is simple, long but simple, If your so stressed out right now perhaps as scary as it seems a change will do you good. TwoLane brought up some great points regarding investigating the new job that's what I would do and if I were satisfied with the info received I would make the change. Life can be so exciting. Stay positive. I wish you luck. :)

I recently changed jobs after 14 years - its a hard thing to do you get so used to people and environment. I would recommend trying to negotiate with the possible new company and see how that goes - hey if they say no, you always have something to fall back on - OR try to negotiate with the old company then if that doesnt work work on the new company

Latest update. Told them I needed more vacation time and was told no problem. 3 weeks instead of 2 now and 9 holidays, 8 sick days and my birthday off. Also told them I would want medical coverage from day one and not after the customary 90 day wait. I told them I needed to think it over for the weekend.

One thing that was interesting is they said if my present company made a counter offer to keep me he wanted to know. Soooo, got a couple of days to think about it, hopefully I will have the balls to make the right decision.:D

There you go buddy, thats what I'm talking about. Sometimes all you gotta do is ask, and they are expecting a bit of that! Shows gumption, just be tactful in everythning you do here. Sounds like you are in good shape here man, just make the best of it:)

At this point I think the biggest thing in the decision is do I want to go from a nice cushy office and great workshop to a dingy small combination workshop/office at the bottom of a long steep stairway? No elevator for bringing large projects into the shop, not that they could fit and worst of all, no computer! Maybe I am nitpicking too much??? Just have to realize this is where I will be spending my work day.:(

I voted to take it, I'm in the same line of work and that's what I would do.

GOTHMOG, you work in a nursing home? Which one? The place I am looking at is a National home and they own a couple out on the island!

5 bosses would be intolerable....

In your heart, you know what you should do.

Follow your heart. You don't have to please anybody else.

Sit down and sort out your feelings. You'll discover the one or two salient issues pointing you toward that new opportunity, or, renegotiating your current position in the hierarchy/pecking order of your current bosses.

Talk to the former employee at the other job. You'll know for sure after that and the heart to heart with the nursing supervisor.

You are in a good position to negotiate here....you'll have more job offers in the future. Don't stress yourself out by thinking this will be the only opportunity to simplify your life.

Simple IS better ;)

Right here, right now, I'd stick around. If you have 13 years at your current job and are in charge of 3 departments, surely you have enough pull with one of your 5 bosses to get some help. You sound frustrated; still that shouldn't be reason enough to let them get you fired up to the point of giving up what you've worked so hard to achieve. BTDT and I wished I hadn't once. I had it good and didn't know it; however, I was so frustrated I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

An assistant sounds like a necessity for you. Perhaps it wouldn't even have to be a full-time assistant, just someone to do filing, organizing, and perhaps payroll a few days a week. You might convince them just to try it with a temporary employee after you can map out their function and see how it goes for a month. Then decide if it needs to be a full-time position. Heck, I'd even give up 10 vac days if I was more sane at the end of each day.

Just food for thought and a little off the subject.....

If you break it down that $4k equates to roughly 76/week. However, in going through a similar experience (flew up to RI to interview on MY nickel-but that's another rant) if you are going to go through a drastic change such as this, it better be a dream job offer. If they are willing to at least meet you somewhere in the middle on money and benefits take it. Your current situation sounds like it's not going to get any better.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
Since I post just about everything I need to make a decision on in life on the board I have something else to ask.

<snip>

I'm not one for change, scares the bejesus out of me. Guess I am just a creature of habit. One good thing is I know the Director of Nurses there so I think I will be able to get some behind the scenes info out of her.

They called me back while typing this and they DO want me for the job and I have to call them back on Friday with answer, help me out guys!

I just started a new job after being at my previous place for 17 years. My situation was similar, with the exception I was the service writer, tech, book keeper, bathroom scrubber, gas attendant (when needed) and had to run over to the owners second shop to help the tech there when he couldnt figure something out. All for the same money, which hadnt increased for 4 years. 60+ hours a week for $900/wk which calcs out to 15/hr for all that. I got tired of it and stumbled on a job, closer to home, $10/hr more, benefits, 5 days a week, 45hrs a week. Heavier work (lot of trucks) many of which are diesel (starting a new learning curve) but so far I sleep well at night and come home content if not happy, where I used to come home hating the world. I wont be a millionaire, but at least I have family time now.
While you're talking a cut in pay, would it be temporary? Or is the new place lower volume in that they can afford to pay you what you need? Even in the future?

I am also not welcome to change either, I like things cozy and consistant, but I haveta say my move has made me happier. I'm still kinda ****ed up in that my normal routine still isnt adjusted to, but I'm getting there. If things are so bad at your current place that you come home hating life, I say switch to something a little easier to handle, take the cut in pay, if you get strapped, see if you can put in some OT to make it up.

In the long run, I think you'll be glad you switched

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
GOTHMOG, you work in a nursing home? Which one? The place I am looking at is a National home and they own a couple out on the island!
Not a nursing home, EOC for a hospital.

Dave

Still undecided as of Sunday morning. Overtime would not be an option at the new place since it is salary, (even though legally the position should be hourly but that is another story altogether, have the same situation at my present job) Right now even though I am salary I am working close to 40 hours per week not much more if I can help it. With the condition of this "new" building I am sure it will be more than that. Sounds like I am trying to talk myself out of it, huh??:)

Mark did you find out anything about the guy who used to have that job? Why he left or was let go? Avg. duration in that position? Do they fire the guy every two years like they do at the Jewish Home for the Aged in New Haven? :eek:

Also you should find out how many hours they expect you to work if it's 40 or "until the job is done" If the latter you should ask for comp. time over say 45 hours a week for sure.

Just my .02 and since you really want to stick it to the current place I would lean towards the new job. :D

I would also keep looking at other options/jobs as well in this economy you gotta keep the irons in the fire. ;)

Salvage, supposedly the guy who left is going to a larger nursing home in Wethersfield which ironically was just bought out by the company I am presently working for.:eek: They just bought up another 9 nursing homes in CT, all the Mediplex homes.

They never really tell you how many hours it takes to get the job done on these interviews, that scares me a bit. Right now I am working 8-4 every day which allows me enough time to do the part time business and work on the house.

Airing all this in a public forum hasn't helped me make my decision yet but it is greatly appreciated that people are posting their advice here.

If anything I know that I am marketable and if I do stay where I am I know if something happens I can find something down the road. Over 20 people applied for this job and I was the one picked so that makes me feel good. It helps to have a former Dept of Public Safety Inspector on the top of my references!

I would stay where you are currently at because you have a number of years there learning what they're ethical code is in treating employees. A new place that wants you will generally promise you anything to get you to make the change.

Mark sounds like your current employer is buying up all the CT places. I would try to get some inside news on corporate maybe you could move to an easier home within CT and/or get some help.

If you move it sorta limits your finding a job again if your present employer is buying up CT and wouldn't want you back, sometimes that's the policy with company's for employees that leave.

Other ones take back the good people of course. :D

I dunno.... tough decision. :confused:

Salvage, At this point I think I am going to wuss out on changing and just keep my eyes open. It just has to feel right for me to change and while the prospect of leaving all the BS at my present place sounds good I just don't feel like spending my work time in the hole of an office/shop at the other place.

Would be a different story if I was unemployed though.

PS, don't forget the Walmart cruises in Wallingford CT starts this coming Sat, May 10th. Guess that means I have to clean the GN.