New radiator questions

jrl2512

So my 27 year old radiator that survived an accident is finally kicking the bucket. I got an aluminum rad coming from alradco. My questions are what coolant should I use, and how do I flush the old coolant from the engine. As always, any help is appreciated

I pull the stat, put the top hose/hsg back in, and flush from the lower and top hoses.
Wouldn't hurt to flush the heater core, too.
As for coolant, I use RMI 25 and tap water. [Some use distilled, some say not to]. In the winter, I add just enuf antifreeze to cover the low temps. It comes out in the spring.
I get the RMI from Nick Micale @ AZ GN
W/ a new rad, I also drop the engine cooler lines and the trans lines, and flush them w/ carb cleaner. That way, any :poop: in them doesn't go into the new coolers.

I pull the stat, put the top hose/hsg back in, and flush from the lower and top hoses.
Wouldn't hurt to flush the heater core, too.
As for coolant, I use RMI 25 and tap water. [Some use distilled, some say not to]. In the winter, I add just enuf antifreeze to cover the low temps. It comes out in the spring.
I get the RMI from Nick Micale @ AZ GN
W/ a new rad, I also drop the engine cooler lines and the trans lines, and flush them w/ carb cleaner. That way, any :poop: in them doesn't go into the new coolers.
Hey Chuck, whats the argument against distilled water?

I used tap water to flush & backflush my system, then blew everything out both ways with compressed air, before connecting the hoses to my new rad last spring. I then filled with antifreeze and those 4L jugs of distilled water you buy at the automotives store. The old rad I removed had coolant inside that was a whitish milky color, which I was told is what happens over many years when you use regular tap water...it has impurities that cause calcium scale deposits to form inside the cooling system. It's probably much less likely to happen with distilled water.