New Radiators?

84GNTTYPE

In the very near future I will be repairing my radiator or buying a new one. Are there any other's out there besides a stock replacement that would be better to use!?!

Thanks!

V8 rad is a good upgrade, will have to do something about shroud if stock though. If going with an electric fan use the metal type top hold down piece like on the 86-87 TRs, which are also found on some V8 Gbodys.

V8 rad isnt very pricey either. You can get one from Auto Zone with a lifetime warranty for about $80 (If I remember right). Got mine from a .307 Regal.

Does the shroud need to be completely removed in order for it to fit? Is it a direct bolt-on otherwise?

Thanks!

Just move the rubber mounts that the radiator sits on to where they need to be for the bigger radiator. Other than the shroud which is made for the smaller radiator that originaly came in our cars, it is a direct bolt on situation. Remember, were still talking about a Gbody radiator (the V8 rad), so its basically made for your car.

I'm not going to be going to an electric fan. At least not right now anyway.
If the radiator is from a V8 Buick, can I get a shroud from one of those cars so it will fit the bigger radiator.

Sorry for all the questions.

You should be able to get something to work. Just keep in mind, our V6s are shorter than the V8s so the fan sits further back, hence the long fan shroud. Alot of the V8 shrouds are short and might not go back far enough to cover your fan (not sure, check and see). Maybe you could adapt your stock shroud and keep the stock look. Shouldnt be hard to make something work. Also, there are alot of cars other than Gbodys that came with .307s and radiators that are probably the same size. May have to do a little modifying....nothing new to our hobby :)

P.S. look around in a junkyard.

To use the V-8 radiator just get a shroud from a 85 hot air car. The 84 used the small N/A V-6 radiator and the 85 used the larger V-8 radiator. You will also need to change the upper radiator hose. Check with coptzr231 or the other guys over in the parts wanted board. Thanks Eric Fisher

turbofish38 - Are you sure that the radiator from the 85 GN is bigger? I looked on both the Autozone Website and Advance Auto website the part #'s are the same for both the 84 GN and 85 GN.

I gokt a high efficiency 86/87 radiator fron NickMachale, with dual electric fans from Ramchargers i dont see over 190 in the desert heat here.

Why not use the stock rad - get it modified to a 4 core... thats what counts.

If you grab a bigger rad, not only are there fitment problems plus the shroud won't fit etc but it won't be as effective.

Electric fan plus a 4 core modded rad will be the answer in my opinion.

84GNTTYPE Yeah you are right. My info was incorrect. There is different part numbers for the radiators and shrouds between the 84 and 85 but the difference is in the core width I believe. V-8 Regals use the same length radaitors as hot air Rivieras and I have a Regal and a Riv and I'll check to see if its possible to use the Riv shroud on your 84. If everything checks okay I have a shroud that you can have, just pay for the shipping. I'll let you know. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks Eric Fisher

Hello 84GNTTYPE,I checked the compatabilty of the Riv shroud on a Regal and it will fit but there is another problem. There is no way to hold down the top of the radiator. The Riv shroud is like the V-8 Regal shroud and has a metal panel holding the top of the radiator down. I had a top panel from a Regal and the Riv shroud won't bolt to it. I know somewhere a long time ago I saw an 85 hot air car with the long radiator. I believe the part number for the upper shroud is 25523621. Maybe one of the guys that sell used parts has one of these shrouds. One of my old parts books shows this as a second design for 85. Somewhere in my mess of old books I have a Delco/Harrison(OEM GM) radiator book with specs on core size, tank type,etc. I'll keep looking but with the holidays it may take me awhile. Thanks Eric

There really isn't a huge rush or anything. It is really hard to say what I will end up doing. With school and everything I don't have a lot of time to work on my car, not to mention a lack of funds. I may just end up putting in a stock replacement for now and sometime down the road completely changing over to a different radiator and an electric fan so I don't have to worry about the shroud issue.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!