New steering column

junction34

I have a 84 t that was broken into and i want to replace the whole steering column and ingition switch what cars can i take this out of and what can i do about a key.

Not sure which cars you can get this from, however, for a key, all you need to do is get a locksmith to re-key it for you. He should even be able to make you a couple of keys.

Any G-body basically, 2 or 4 door. If your car has a console, that somewhat limits you. Most grand Prixs and many cutlasses have consoles. Get one with a key. If you cannot, you can replace the whole key switch (comes with keys) for very little.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Any G-body basically, 2 or 4 door. If your car has a console, that somewhat limits you. Most grand Prixs and many cutlasses have consoles. Get one with a key. If you cannot, you can replace the whole key switch (comes with keys) for very little.

As John said...

All G body columns interchange, however, the wiper switch varies based on what you have in the car. It, as well as the lock cylinder are not hard to change if you have the right tools...

Cutlass, Regal, Monte Carlo, Grad Prix. The knobs vary in design from some to the next, but the function of the column is the same.

Good Luck, Rob

I apreciate it guys its been a hassle to get this thing running but its come along thank yall.

The key code is stamped on the outside case of the lock cylinder. Take that code to any GM dealer or locksmith and they should be able to make a key for you. 82 was the first year for the wiper controls on the column. Try to use a column from an 84-88 G-body to minimize the switch incapatabilty problems. If you have to you can always use your old wiper switch and cruise control lever from your existing column in the 82-83 vintage columns.