New to Buick turbos, and sure as hell carburated turbos.

16mmsocket

Hey guys. Just picked up a 1978? turbo 3.8l. It's a 4bbl version. Supposedly has 23000 miles on it. The guy who knew about it died and I bought it from his wife. The trans is supposedly built. The EGR has been blocked off and the wastegate actuator is adjustable, so something has been done too it. Pictures and questions incoming.

The motor and what it is going into. I paid 900 bucks for the setup, did I do okay, or spend too much?

I reckon my question is how much HP can be had from these carbed guys without putting too much cash into them or pushing the detonation envelope? I have read the carbed recipe, but am suprised at the lack of tuning info, and dyno figures. Maybe my googlefu is weak. I am getting rid of the 4wd stuff in this thing, so I am hoping it will move pretty good, 175hp and 275 tq move those Bufords pretty good? How much would I'd spend for the sfi setup?

What can you guys tell me about this thing? Anything jump out at you from the pictures?

It didn't come with the knock box what are my options there?

And I need a vacuum diagram. I can't seem to find one, and this thing has a bunch of cut hoses. Thanks in advance guys. Sorry for asking a hundred and ninety ten questions.

Welcome to the board. Don't get rid of the 4WD stuff since it aids traction. The engine may or may not be stock but it looks like it's been modified to some degree.

As far as cheap goes, if it's a turbo Buick engine there's nothing cheap about it. :cry:Rather than using the stock turbo control center you need to convert to a J&S electronics control. It will help keep the detonation to a minimum and allow much better overall power.

You might try looking at Rich's site. www.beforeblack.net. Rich has a lot of info and it included wiring and hose diagrams, which should help you out quite a bit.;)

I saw the vacuum diagrams there the other day, but the links don't work.

Looks like I will be saving up for the J&S unit. Those are expensive. I reckon I will find the stock esc unit to get it up and running, depending on what I spend getting this thing on the road, I will throw the J&S unit on.

Finding a stock turbo control center will be hard. I searched for several years before I got 1. Start saving and just get the J&S unit. It will do much more than the stock unit and keep it alive when the stock one screws up and the engine is killed.

Hopefully it is the right one , and hopefully it works. The guy found it under the dash of a car he bought. It doesn't have a wiring harness.

I also need one for the motor, it didn't come with one. Not sure what my plan is there. I ordered a Buick 1979 chassis manual.

Thanks for your reply's.

Get hold of John @ J&S and I'm sure he can help you. He's the owner and a board member as well.;)

Alright. So this thing is missing the wiring harness. What are my options there? Make my own? I would imagine having the motor harness, to the body connectors would make life much easier than trying to figure my own out. How hard are these to find? Will NA Buicks of the same vintage work as well? I am rewiring the Jeepster with a universal kit does that change anything for me? I can't see this thing having too many wires.