New to forum

usrg75

Hello everyone!

I have been wanting a turbo Buick for a very long time and finally want to get one. Found one but the ad states that the turbo is bad. I have read the "Info for new TB owners" on this is an incredible website. I was just looking for advice. Here is the ad description:

I am selling my 1987 grand national. Car is runs and drives great. It has 71000 miles. Has a new gas tank, plugs, wires, alternator and the transmission has been serviced. The only bad thing is the turbo is bad. It don't smoke but we believe the bearing has went out. It will drive and we have drove it like it is with no problem.

This car is solid no rust. Interior is clean and original.

$9000 and the A/C is not working. Based on the pictures, the body fillers look like they could be repainted.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

I'm wondering why they're saying that the turbo is bad. What's it doing? This sounds like it could be a nice deal as long as nothing big needs to be replaced. Can you do a compression check / leak down on it? Drive it and make sure the trans goes through the gears clean. Check on the 2-3 shift that it doesn't slip or flair. What area do you live in? Post pictures if you can.

Mike Barnard

You can get a new turbo on here dirt cheap. Personally I would take a TB veteran with you to look the car over. If its as nice as the ad it wounds like a good deal.

What's with the plastic bags over the mirrors? Also that exhaust is hideous. Other than that it looks nice...and would be a solid deal at that price....if everything else checks out.

Unfortunately, I do not know any TB veterans. Hopefully, this website will help me meet some!!! :)

Just throw out a thread in your location sub-forum. Someone will step up to help you out. People here are great at helping a brother out.

Last edited:
I almost lost my butt on GN with T-Tops a couple of years ago. It was so rusted and I would have not known about it if it wasn't for this website.

What's with the plastic bags over the mirrors? Also that exhaust is hideous. Other than that it looks nice...and would be a solid deal at that price....if everything else checks out.

They likely have the same problem there as we do around here. If anybody around here has to leave a vehicle outside, the mirrors need to be covered, otherwise the birds are attracted to them and they will roost on them over night and will also sit on the door sill and peck away at their own reflection, all while scratching the paint and crapping all over everything!!! Seems to only be big issue around spring and mating season.

They likely have the same problem there as we do around here. If anybody around here has to leave a vehicle outside, the mirrors need to be covered, otherwise the birds are attracted to them and they will roost on them over night and will also sit on the door sill and peck away at their own reflection, all while scratching the paint and crapping all over everything!!! Seems to only be big issue around spring and mating season.

Seriously? That's crazy!

You can get a new turbo on here dirt cheap. Personally I would take a TB veteran with you to look the car over. If its as nice as the ad it wounds like a good deal.
I am new to this and was wondering where I can find a turbo on here cheap. Where do I look? Trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you for your help! You've been awesome!