new to the gn world

nateb

this week im trade my 04 gto for a 87 gn ive always wanted one of these cars and i finally found a chnce to get one that pretty clean but my car i have now is blown up and the guy wants to trade the car needs a little tlc in in interior but whats one thing to look for on the cars and what usally the things that goes frist or what to replace

I did the exact same thing in aug. of 07. I had an 04 GTO, got rid of it, picked up an 87 GN and put a lot of $ in it. Great investment though. not sure of the condition of your GN

Congrats Nate on your futute trade and welcome to your new home. :cool:

Please visit this site as it has alot of useful information.
Turbo Regal Web Site

You can start off by doing a Spring Cleaning.
The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

It is also wise to invest in a SCANMASTER 2.1 and several gauges. It will let you know whats going on with several components on your car. GM cheated us out by adding a dash that doesnt tell us much. :tongue:

First thing to do will be to swap our the current chip and use a chip from ERIC over at TurboTweak Home. It will do wonders. :cool:

Post pics of the car when you get it. That way we can take a look at the car and see if its stock, or heavely modded and we can go from there.
Remember patience and maintance is your friend at this point.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...r.viewPicture&friendID=2203128&albumId=613740 here is a link to sum pics of the car on the guys myspace

Has A Hot Wired Reds Fuel Pump,adj. Regulator, 36 Lb Injectors, Reds Chips 93 and 100, Reds Volt Booster, K&n Air Filter, 35 Lb A-pillar Mounted Boost Gauge,Larger after market front sway bar, ATR 4 Hole under radio console gauge, with volt Newer Tires On Decent Factory G.n. Wheels. Rear has 275-50-16 BFG Drag Radials. Stock Downpipe, Stock Turbo. 2.5 inch single exhaust to a 3 inch stainless magnaflow. Drilled and Cross Slotted front rotors, Hawk Front Brake Pads, Koni Seal Front Brake Lines
Car has a Kenwood Flip out dvd player, Kennwood 6 1/2 rear, Infinity fronts

also the guy is giving me not not on the car yet 42lb injs and chip turbo tweak, TA49 turbo, Kirban 3 inch Down pipe, Moroso 3 inch race muffler, Front Mount IC and Plumbing, B&M 2800 10inch lock up, ported intake plenum.

im gonna get it to pass emissions then plate it drive in for a like 2 weeks till i here the word snow then put it up then over winter put all the other stuff on and get a sca n master im gonna buy a scanmaster frist

Make sure you read up on these cars a LOT. They are not tolerant to being abused while out of tune. If you blew up an 04 GTO, you'll not have much luck with the GN unless you arm yourself with information. Good luck, though.

the only reason y the gto blew up is cuz the car got stolen from and that person blew it up

sorry to steal your post newbie here also, with a 87 w/38k on the clock. as far as i can tell the car is stock..other than the k&n filter in the stock location, the 3" stainless exhaust. the owner told me he changed the injectors but i dont know if there bigger or not he jut gave me back the originals.... so whats the best bang for the buck? chip from eric? fuel pump? i also noticed that the heater line that goes to the throttle body has been bypassed
i dont know if there is a chip in the pcm how can i tell what does a stock chip look like? i will post some pics.....thanks... Pete

Joe's Grand National Photo Album - MySpace Photos here is a link to sum pics of the car on the guys myspace

Has A Hot Wired Reds Fuel Pump,adj. Regulator, 36 Lb Injectors, Reds Chips 93 and 100, Reds Volt Booster, K&n Air Filter, 35 Lb A-pillar Mounted Boost Gauge,Larger after market front sway bar, ATR 4 Hole under radio console gauge, with volt Newer Tires On Decent Factory G.n. Wheels. Rear has 275-50-16 BFG Drag Radials. Stock Downpipe, Stock Turbo. 2.5 inch single exhaust to a 3 inch stainless magnaflow. Drilled and Cross Slotted front rotors, Hawk Front Brake Pads, Koni Seal Front Brake Lines
Car has a Kenwood Flip out dvd player, Kennwood 6 1/2 rear, Infinity fronts

also the guy is giving me not not on the car yet 42lb injs and chip turbo tweak, TA49 turbo, Kirban 3 inch Down pipe, Moroso 3 inch race muffler, Front Mount IC and Plumbing, B&M 2800 10inch lock up, ported intake plenum.

im gonna get it to pass emissions then plate it drive in for a like 2 weeks till i here the word snow then put it up then over winter put all the other stuff on and get a sca n master im gonna buy a scanmaster frist

My God, that's beautiful!:eek: Wish my '87 looked that great when I inherited it! The car is gorgeous. Great trade. Just listen to all the guys here on thier suggestions on learning about this great machine. You'll save yourself tons of money by doing everything by yourself. You'll be suprised how good you can tune up this car with the help of the experts on the board here. They are not hard at all to understand as long as you stay connected here with the knowledgeable group. I've been working on mine for 6 years to get it to look as good as yours and still I have to get one more thing fixed...the right rear fender is dented when it was stolen by low-lifes in '01. I've spent a fortune in parts and interior parts to get it to look like yours. But, well worth it to me. They are fast as sh**. I mean, FAST!:eek: It's like having your cake and eating it too. I mean...look at it....air condition, rear seats, trunk, cruise control, power everything and it still takes off like the space shuttle. Further along the road with it, you'll REALLY have a sh** eating grin on your face after some subtle modifications that are not really expensive at all to do. You will not be disappointed. ENJOY and WELCOME!:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

thanks man im going from a car that went 12.50 with a 1.55 60 foot to this car wihch i hope to make faster on the goat all i had was cat back cai ported throttle body and a 4000 stall from yank and a good tune

I miss my GN...its been well taken care of a tuned by a previous employee of thrasher engineering when it was in bussiness and doing GN's

Nateb: What part of IN are you from?? I'm down south, near New Albany.
BTW, does the Kenwood Flip Out clear the shifter in the parked position or does it hit???

Cool, I was looking at the Alpine w/ 7" screen and wanted to make sure it would clear.