new tranny only has 1st & rev

monte379

well i got either brave 0r stupid and tried to rebuild my tranny(2004R). its looking like stupid. got it together and installed but i only have 1st & rev. i tried drive range and manual ranges still only 1st & rev. it was late so i haven't done any checking yet. will do some checks over the weekend. my first check will be the gov. but does anyone have any other ideas ? if so please help !

1-2 shift valve sticking...servo and/or pin

Did you happen to purchase an ATSG manual? If so, there is a trouble shooting chart, there is also a chart indicating which components are applied for each gear, this would help you narrow it down. With first and reverse working, the only other part needed for second is the band; which is controlled by the servo. Check the 1-2 accumulator housing, make sure the bolts are tight and the small gasket (separate from the 2 VB gaskets) is in place. Let us know how it's going and good luck, John.:)

dropped the pan this morning to check the gov. was hoping and thinking that was the problem. sure enough the gov spring was laying in the gov cover. put back together and wow ! tranny works great. i followed the instructions in the ck manual. installed the ck billet servo , i wanted to get the ck shift kit but ran out of money so i had to reuse the tci shift kit that was already in it. only made a couple of trips down the road and back but as of now i am very impressed. super quick and very firm shifts.:biggrin: