New Turbo Tweak Chip rocks

gmmuscle

Been tuning on my 86 GN and so far the chip seems to be the best improvement in overall driveability. Took care of severe stumble when accelerating, idle quality improved, and what seemed like a mis fire has gone away. Now the bad- b/4 installing, I was consistantly getting a 90 BLM-which tells me the ECM was having to lean out the engine for some reason. Now the chip sets BLM at 118 and when I let car sit and idle, the ground turns black from rich soot out of the exhaust. Plugs are very sooty, but electrode resistor is still clean. Plugs were always very consistent and clean b/4 chip change. Mileage is sub 10 MPG, but car seems to run well. Here is what has been done during my "spring" tune up:

new fuel filter
hot wire kit
new Walbro fuel pump/sending unit
pcv valve
oil with ZDDP additive
Autometer boost gauge
metco fuel gauge -hood mounted
new radiator and system flush

Have not changed any wires,plugs or electrical parts

Other pertinent data

fp 37-42, and at least 1-1 under heavy acceleration-up to 60 psi
vacuum 20 at idle
boost maxes at 15
still can't break tires loose from dead stop, but back end will fishtail right b/4 2nd gear when heavy accelerating

scanmaster numbers
o2 850
af 04
lb 30
clt 171
tps .44-.46
iac 24-29
bat 13.7-14.3
int 128
blm 118
rpm 750-875
mal 00

A couple of quick thoughts: fuel pressure needs to be 43 psi (vacuum line off at the regulator/warm idle) for the TurboTweak chip to function properly.
You may also need a higher-than-stock stall converter to get the car to spool well with the larger turbo.

HTH - JImmy

Thanks Jimmy- I have been thinking about getting an adjustable regulator. Any suggestions on an inexpensive reliable one?

Carl

hello: I got the same one. When I talk about it I call it the 5.6 version. Tell me did you have to adjust anything when you installed it? I had to play with the IAC to get it where TT made it to be. just curious
IBBY

mine is the 6532 and the order form from GBody says it's the 5.7 version.

I had already set TPS and re-set IAC before chip change. Scanmaster readings did not change after chip, so did not have to re-adjust. Have made no other adjustments, although will be getting an adjustable fuelpress regulator.
Carl

are you getting good CCs from the O2?
A bad or weak O2 will run the car rich.Also is it an aftermarker MAF
MAF controls fueling ,number shoud be 4 or so at idle.A nigher MAF number is a common problem with aftermarker Mass Meters

mine is the 6532 and the order form from GBody says it's the 5.7 version.

I had already set TPS and re-set IAC before chip change. Scanmaster readings did not change after chip, so did not have to re-adjust. Have made no other adjustments, although will be getting an adjustable fuelpress regulator.
Carl

hello: I'm no pro but I'll be asking TT as things develope. Funny I just got mine last summer.
IBBY
I went to the TT site and there has been a change. If you want go to TT site for what the difference is. Good luck with the new 5.7.
IBBY

Your o2 is too high at idle and your maf is too low just a tad , look for broken vacuum lines, maf piping, bad o2 sensor, bad fuel pressure regulator leaking vacuum inside, Butt I would say the o2 is lazy

are you getting good CCs from the O2?
A bad or weak O2 will run the car rich.Also is it an aftermarker MAF
MAF controls fueling ,number shoud be 4 or so at idle.A nigher MAF number is a common problem with aftermarker Mass Meters

The O2 sensor was replaced a week before the new chip, and was still getting blm's of 90.

MAF is AC Delco reman 091554786605288

Had never checked the cc's and after reading the detailed explanation from vortex site? I need to check for 8-12 increments while car is moving.

Can't do anything now, as it's raining:frown:

Cleaned the MAF again with proper cleaner, and checked turbo inlet hose for leaks (could not see any light through the hose). I understand downstream air is a bad thing.

Carl

Thanks Jimmy- I have been thinking about getting an adjustable regulator. Any suggestions on an inexpensive reliable one?

Carl

I use the Accufab billet adjustable fpr available new from our vendors and used from members.
Another option is the GM "237" non-adjustable regulator from later-model cars (Sommersets and Turbo Trans Ams to name a couple) that will set your pressure at 43 lbs. (#233 is on your factory fpr which sets the pressure @40 psi, vacuum line off) It's a bolt-on replacement for the factory piece and eliminates any changes in base fp setting. Lots of members have these available used also.

HTH - Jimmy