New Vehicle Paint Question

GrnNatlFan

Need some assistance here. I bought the wife a new Honda Odyssey van, white in color. Had it a couple of weeks when I noticed that on the left rear where the bumper joins up with the quarter that there was paint missing in the seem. It was really annoying so took it back to the dealer to correct. They painted the whole rear bumper cover! Now, at just the right angle or when it's cloudy out, it's a slight shade off from the rest of the vehicle. Can't really tell when the sun is out and it's clear though. Secondly, I got to looking at the van real close (it's raining out) and the front bumper cover is a slight shade off from the front fenders. When I bought the van it had 300 miles on it and I'm beginning to wonder if the front cover was replaced prior to me buying the thing. I am very anal about my cars and this is really bothering me. Van now has 7,500 miles on it. What type of recource or remmedy do you think is available. I am getting mad just thinking about.

Very likely it's not a scam. The paint process on plastic can result in slight variations of color match, vs metal panels.

The paint for the bumpers contains a flex agent which sometimes makes it appear like a lighter/darker shade. Bumpers on cars today are nothing more then thin plastic and the paint is designed to flex with the bumper if there is a small impact....I would not worry about it..It was nice of them to paint the bumper for you!

I am sure it's the same way Ford does it.
Metal body is done at the factory.
Everything else is farmed out and comes in painted.

The very nature of the plastic itself I believe is the cause of discoloration. We paint vehicles at work daily and a fender and bumper can be painted at the same time but come out slightly different. It should not be dramatic but it will be off by a notch. You can always adjust the mix if it is too far out but it is not customary. I do not think most modern urethane paints require flex agent.

Oh and white is the worst to match. There are so many variations. I am having issues with white color match myself.