New window sweeps

bgndobe

86 GN
Just purchased a new set of outside (LH and RH) window sweeps.....you know the rubber part that you rest your arm on and it gets all dried out, cracked and broken over the years. How hard is it to change these? Any sites to walk me through it or anyone out there done it before and have any hints for me?? Thanks in advance. Chris

Inside or outside ones?
Inside are attached to the upper door panel.
Outside screwed into the top of the door itself from the top inside of the door. I rolled my window all the way down and I was actually able to access many of the screws in order to replace the outside ones. You may have to drop the window down from the inside of the door, but that's pretty easy too

It's the outside ones. On the new parts I see all the screw holes in it....and yeah it looks like I would be screwing the screws downward once installed. OK........say I do need to "drop the window from inside the door" to access all the screws. How is that done?

I just did mine last fall. It was more straight forward than I expected but trickier at the same time (because I did it without taking the windows off of the tracks). Just put the windows down all the way and remove the door panels and you will be able to see the screws. Some of them are easy but some the window still covered for me. What I did was removed the two guides from the top of the door so the window had some play in/out then snuck a small angled screw driver (or phillips tip in a ratcheting boxed-end) in there to get em out. Tip: once you remove the guides/stops/whatever theyre called, put some masking tape on all window surfaces that will contact metal or the screwdriver to prevent scratches. Took about 4 hours all together because it took a while to get them to fit properly.

Great info!! Now that I'm not completely blind going into this.....sounds like something I can tackle. I'll just give myself an afternoon of free time and get it done. Thanks so much. Chris

This is very easy to change. Since the car's been out in the elements, (thus the dryrot and cracking), I'd suggest a small does of PB Blaster applied to the small screws that hold the sweeps in place.

Just roll the window all the way down and pull (gently) toward you (ie: toward the inside of the car) you will see about 5-6 screws (can't recall the exact amount). Hit them each with a small shot of the break free spray (maybe a few times/days before doing this. I recently had to take some off an older door that was off the car with no glass and they were rusted in. Even standing on the door and leaning into it was hard work. So, that is why I recommend the break free a few times and maybe a few days in a row before doing it. The last thing you need is a super stubborn screw that won't come out and the only tool you can use is a tiny "L-shaped" philips screwdriver (there's almost no leverage...)

Other than uncooperative screws, this is very easy to do. (no need to remove the door panels or the glass). Good Luck.

normally when removing the inner door panel, you will destroy the plastic push pins that hold it on but they can be bought at autozone or discount in the help section good luck.

normally when removing the inner door panel, you will destroy the plastic push pins that hold it on but they can be bought at autozone or discount in the help section good luck.

Same places sell an interior panel tool for about $7.00 ;)

If you "must" remve the door panel, that tool that Brian speaks of is invaluable!! I use it alot. Oh yeah and it's a good idea to have a few extra plastic push pins (christmas trees) on hand...

The last thing you need is a super stubborn screw that won't come out and the only tool you can use is a tiny "L-shaped" philips screwdriver (there's almost no leverage...)

I had no problem breaking them loose at all. The trick is to get leverage by putting the phillips head in place in the screw then using the glass to keep it in while turning. You just have to use a heavy-enough tape on the glass to protect it while doing this and make sure you dont push hard enough to actually break the glass. But a little pb blaster would ensure you dont get caught up on a frozen screw and is never a bad idea. Also I cant imagine doing this job without removing the door panels because to do it with the glass in place you need to at least take the stops off inside the door (the two metal and felt things near the top that the glass slides on when it moves up and down).