NEWBIE! and Q on Series II vs. Old GN

Rob 94Hawk 319

Howdy guys, Dave Hamburger told me to come over here to find out some info from you guys. Here it is:

I need to know exactly what are the differences in between the old 3.8 231ci Buick engine that was used in a Grand National and the newer 3800 Series II engines used in the V6 Camaro's. Anyone have anywhere I can start looking, or any suggestions? Or just any info what so ever?

Thanks dudes, dudettes, etc... :)

1994 Firehawk#319
11.83@120.61
Slightly Modified
1996 Blown V6
2002 Trailblazer
San Diego F-Bodies

HI I have a similar question and I figured instead of creating another "how are they different" thread. I would just post here.

I need to know specifically about the mounting points of the motors. A friend of mine is planning a 3800 SC swap into an 83 Regal and Im looking for information about bellhousing bolt patterns and the like and am coming up short. I am alittle concerned about mating the fwd style motor to a rwd trans, but the bigger concern is finding out what flexplate and converter will work between the two.

What I dont need is a bunch of posts about how it isnt possible. Anything is possible. Im a Tool & Die maker and I build street rods as a hobby, the fabrication isnt a problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a block in the garage. I can give some dimensions, but I don't have any centering pins for very accurate numbers. (+-.05)

Looking at the rear of the block:

There are five threaded holes and one clearance hole, starting at 9:00 and working clockwise, ending at 3:00 with the clearance hole. That bolt threads into the tranny case.

Do you need some rough measurments?

What I dont need is a bunch of posts about how it isnt possible. Anything is possible. Im a Tool & Die maker and I build street rods as a hobby, the fabrication isnt a problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated. [/B]

Oh your right anything is possible. ;) These guys are right you'll either need an adapter plate or a 700R4 tranny. The one used in the camaro is another good one to use. You'll also need to turn the throttle body around 180 deg to get it away from the firewall.

Engine mounts should be fairly easy; the RWD style mounting points are still there, camaro mount again might be a good choice.

hope some of this helps,