Newbie Help with Detonation and retard

boomcase

This is my second Turbo Buick, First one was 20years ago. My car is getting alot of Audible detonation at Part throttle boost (8 to 10lb) I have to let off) around 15* Knock retard, O2 were at 828, BLM 128 according to scanmaster. I have changed Plugs to cr43s, new fuel filter, Wires, checked for vacuum leaks. Fuel pressure is set at 44 line off, It does have a TT street chip and I have talked to Eric and says the Chip should be Ok for setup. I think I am going to have to check a few things but not sure where to start.

Motor stock, PE61,42lb injectors,Mass Pipe & K&N, Adjustable Reg and 340 fuel pump, PT3000 stall, 3inch down pipe and magnaflow exhaust.

I would look to make sure fuel pressure is rising with boost.
You will need a fuel pressure guage you can read under boost.
I would also see watch and see what the MAF readings do.
Are they rising under boost.

There are some smart guys in CT. Post your location and maybe one of them can help you tune it.. Your o2's look rich.

Ok, check fuel presure and Maf reading ok I will do that. If its not raising fuel pressure what would cause?

Fuel pump
Like said your O2 show you are rich.
Did this just start happening?
Could you have got a bad tank of gas?

One thing I have seen a few times, is people selling cars that do not have the correct chip for the set-up.
My advice is to 100% verify, or get a new TT chip and start there. :)

I did get all info off the chip and sent to Eric at turbo tweak, he answered should be ok for mods.

Update, Hooked up fuel gage and under boost fuel pressure was rising, at about 10lb part throttle I got between 50-53 hard to read gage sometimes, O2s were at about 780-790 and 3 to 4 retard I did lower fuel pressure to 43 and tried a different fuel pressure gage to make sure was functioning good. I tried a couple of full throttle runs and I was getting boost upwards of about 19 to 21 so I let off. I think I will try to turn the actuater arm out a few turns and see where it goes. Not sure if it was boost spike was to scared and let off.

Turned actuater rod out 6 turns , boost leveled off at around 14/15 and O2 were at 780 with 3.2 retard. so things are alot better. Hoping that a fresh tank of gas and it wil be OK. I dont know why or what the hell happened but I feel more comfortable driving it now. Got a Tad of audible detonation but not all the time. Are the O2s alittle low?

Turned actuater rod out 6 turns , boost leveled off at around 14/15 and O2 were at 780 with 3.2 retard. so things are alot better. Hoping that a fresh tank of gas and it wil be OK. I dont know why or what the hell happened but I feel more comfortable driving it now. Got a Tad of audible detonation but not all the time. Are the O2s alittle low?

First off, you don't sound like a newbie at all with these things. :wink:

Secondly, regarding the O2's ; IMO, it is hard to say.
It seems low for just getting into it since typically, O2's will drop at the end of a long hard run since EGT's will increase.

Some cars like 790's, some 740's. Too many variables to determine the correct O2's on a NB.
Only way to accurately determine that is with a WB. (No news to you I am sure)

Meanwhile, increase the fuel in the chip and see if KR goes away, verify the timing, and fuel (fresh), verify injectors are clean, ignition system and plugs are up to the task, plug gap is correct, wires are good, charging system is good, . . . . . . . . . . :smile:

tune the car for NO KNOCK. if you see timing being pulled, get out of it. 3.2 degrees is not ok.

First off, you don't sound like a newbie at all with these things. :wink:

Secondly, regarding the O2's ; IMO, it is hard to say.
It seems low for just getting into it since typically, O2's will drop at the end of a long hard run since EGT's will increase.

Some cars like 790's, some 740's. Too many variables to determine the correct O2's on a NB.
Only way to accurately determine that is with a WB. (No news to you I am sure)

Meanwhile, increase the fuel in the chip and see if KR goes away, verify the timing, and fuel (fresh), verify injectors are clean, ignition system and plugs are up to the task, plug gap is correct, wires are good, charging system is good, . . . . . . . . . . :smile:

Sorry, I'm a newbie to the turbo buick cars, I have been around cars and racing all my life, have had 14sec cars thru 9sec cars (alot of Mustang fox bodys and F-bodys)(dont hate me guys). I'm just older and want something more comportable.

Yea, I dont have Wide band, Plugs gapped at .035, Timing dont know, Waiting on fresh Gas I,m almost empty, Injectors are fairly new, wires fairly new, havent check coil pack (have to read up on), Scan master shows 13.8 but I did notice the Idiot light slightly showing color once and awhile. I,m learning new things everyday Its nice to get input and info from people who are more experienced on these cars than myself.

Also my Scanmaster digits are F__ked Up partial digits are hard to read sometimes.

I'm Trying guys, Thanks