newbie rear end ?

quick 6 zack

just bought this gn with no rear end I have a 7.5 posi what is the differents between the 8.5 I found a 8.5 non posi rear end in a 80 park ave. will that work if I change it to a posi unit ? what about the 7.5 rear end .thanks in advanaced

The 7.5 rear is pretty weak for the GN's torque potental. The center section will not interchange from a 8.5 to a 7.5. The full-sized car's 8.5 rear may be too wide for yours . Measure the width between the brake backing plates on both rears to confirm, then check the control arm mounts. The correct 8.5 rear came under many 81-87 G-bodies. Most GN's are running a 3:42 factory ratio so a 3 series carrier is needed.

HTH - Jimmy

thanks for the info .I will check those measurments this weekend and see .so alot of the regular regals ,cutlass,montes ,and grand prixs have those rears ends right. thanks

Originally posted by quick 6 zack
thanks for the info .I will check those measurments this weekend and see .so alot of the regular regals ,cutlass,montes ,and grand prixs have those rears ends right. thanks

No, only the turbocharged Regals and the Olds 442 have the 8.5" rear end.

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
What did Plain jane Monte Carlos come with for rear? What about the SS versions?

The Monte's all had the 7.5"