NHRA certification questions (window nets and seat brace)

KevinB

Just got done putting a cage in my car (Thanks Tom!). Anyways, I'm taking my car to a buddy's garage Saturday to have it certified with a few other cars. My question is this: can it be certified if the window net and the seat brace is not installed yet??? I have heard yes, but not sure. Also, what is everyone doing for a seat brace (the bar from the back of the seat to the cage) if the stock seats are to be used?

TIA,
Kevin

Don't know about how to fasten the stock seat but yes they will do the cert without the net and seat brace, at least here they will. Those are up to the track tech to check.

They will do it with out that stuff. Your just having your cage certified not the rest of the safety equipment. They look at that stuff when you tech in at the track.

HTH,
Scott

Thanks guys!!! Can't wait to get this car legal, I'm tired of getting kicked off the tracks. The safety thing is a plus too;)

Here is what i did for a seat bracket. It does not bolt to the seat. I have asked tech people at every track i have been to and the guy that certified the cage and they all said on a stock seat it doesn't have to bolt to the seat. Make sure on the cage it doesn't have ANY uncompleted welds.

Attachments

• seat bracket 0022.JPG
    seat bracket 0022.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,928
Thanks Steve! If that passes at Edgewater, should be good anywhere. lol
The cage looks pretty good, welds included. I guess we'll see what happens Saturday;) If you need a recert, let me know. We are having a guy come to a buddy of mine's garage right off of 71 and rt. 123, in your neck of the woods.

I have a few years left on my cert. Who is doing the certs? If you need help with the seat bracket let me know. Originally i made a really trick 1/4" aluminum bracket but after 2 launchs it looked like a pretzel.

I have a few years left on my cert. Who is doing the certs? If you need help with the seat bracket let me know. Originally i made a really trick 1/4" aluminum bracket but after 2 launchs it looked like a pretzel.

Don't know the guy's name, but I think he's coming from Louisville.

I'll probably take you up on your offer. Thanks.
BTW, I'll give you a call this week, your cam is at Lonnie's shop.

Good luck Kevin,
Here is what I remember from a tech inspection done to friend of mines car. The inspector put a grease dot on each roll cage tube. Then came around to each dot and placed an ultra sonic wall thickness gage to confirm the bars were the appropriate thickness. He made sure the welds were a continuous bead, and none were ever touched with a grinder. He mentioned if the welded joint was not a continuous bead, a gusset could have been welded into that area. He looked under the car to make sure the cage was welded to the frame, and the area were the tube met the frame was boxed in with a steel plate.

The process went very quick.

Judging by the picture in your avatar you might want to ask the inspector if your son can get his NHRA license. Just a thought;) .

Kevin,

My experience getting my car certified was just what Sam said......They sonic checked the main tubes and inspected the welds. The insector gave me a hard time about not having 360 degree welds in a couple of locations AND I do have gussets on those locations.

The inspector didn't even look at the seat, the brace or the belts/nets. I think they expect the track inspectors to enforce those rules.

The bottom line was, the cage met the rules, and he did pass me. I know I'll have the same guy this year for re-certification. I hope that re-cert is easier that the initial certification......I'll find out in April.

Sorry Kevin, but I have a quick question on this too :)

I am in the middle of doing a full cage with swingouts. The door bars are bent (look pretty crazy) so they fit around the door panel.

They meet the shoulder/elbow requirement.

Has anybody had problems for bends in sidebars? Just curious I did not notice anything in the NHRA rulebook on this.

Thx

Sorry Kevin, but I have a quick question on this too :)

I am in the middle of doing a full cage with swingouts. The door bars are bent (look pretty crazy) so they fit around the door panel.

They meet the shoulder/elbow requirement.

Has anybody had problems for bends in sidebars? Just curious I did not notice anything in the NHRA rulebook on this.

Thx

When I talked to the guy who does our certs about the bent bars he said no problem because it will only be certified to 8.50 with the swingouts anyway.

Thanks guys! My car passed NHRA inspection today:D The inspector said that stock seats do not need any bracing at all.

Thanks guys! My car passed NHRA inspection today:D The inspector said that stock seats do not need any bracing at all.

You still might want to install a seat brace, though. A high "G" launch can rip the front seat structure from the floor, especially if you weigh more than 190 lbs. I have had to weld the floor structure up on a few cars over the years. The sheet metal floor structure isn't very strong, and ends up cracking. If you reinforce the structure, you might be OK. A simple seat brace will help a bunch, though.