NHRA stock cam

swede

Hi! where can i get a cam that meets stock spec.
Im going to run NHRA H/SA. Thanks.

Do they still allow turbobuicks to run H/SA?

I'd just use the stock cam and crank the boost to a million. Don't forget the 5.13 gears to use all of the 4 speeds.

Maybe they corect the hp factor. Think it says 290 hp on
-86 GN. Interesting about using all four gears. Does it make
better 60 ft? Or isit so you can run tall tires?

On that website it said something about a 210ci twin turbo Buick with 1050hp, is that a typo or did they really use a 210ci engine?

Originally posted by Steve Wood
See if you can run the Gallinas down.. I believe Marka is running H/S with her TransAM unless the rules changed this year.

http://www.fastbuicks.com/

Fastbuicks@aol.com

One year in, she has the current I/SA record which is only a hair quicker than the H/SA record, so I imagine she'll be factored to D/SA.

An intercooled turbo car is a way unfair advantage IMO.

Swede, if you run the numbers out for using a 30" tall tire and all 4 gears, a rear gear ratio in the mid 5's would be optimum.

Not taking anything away from the galina's accomplishments, but balance and blueprint the motor, JE pistons, 3 angle valve job (big throat cut, wink wink), THDP, I feel low 11's would be no problem, even with a stock turbo.

I have been in the stock class 2years my best et 12.29
109.5 1.62 60ft . The engine is unopend. Low 11sec !
I think i have along way to go.

Originally posted by turboost
On that website it said something about a 210ci twin turbo Buick with 1050hp, is that a typo or did they really use a 210ci engine?

As I remember, that is correct. They spend a lot of money with Dr. Doom :)

Originally posted by swede
I have been in the stock class 2years my best et 12.29
109.5 1.62 60ft . The engine is unopend. Low 11sec !
I think i have along way to go.

I need to go over the pond and kick some butt!

Swede, are you running 28" tires? that should help pick up your mph with the stock motor. Maybe even enough to put you in the 11's.

Yes m/t 28x9. I have n/l converter, going to put in a 9x11
think it help the speed.

For NHRA stock class, the cam must have stock lift or less. The heads MUST be stock with no bowl work or port matching or 3 angle jobs. I did the tear-down on Marka's TTA in Tucson where she just set the I/SA records for ET and MPH. I have done many tear-downs for NHRA inspectors and can assure you it best meet the stock specs or no record or class win. The stock/ss class cars are only factored at National meets, not Divisionals or opens where records are set.

The turbo motor is factored at 290 HP in stock class. Her car did have plenty more power than last year, and some traction problems showed up. This weekend in Boise, ID, she may lower the record or run for the H/SA record?

John's GN now has a 207 cu. in. motor with stage II heads replacing the M&A's that were used on the 210 motor. The dyno run on the 207 peaked at 1285 HP! I will be with this this car at Mission Raceway in Canada the first of May for a possible record run.

Also, the 5.13 gears are way too steep even for NHRA racing in a turbo Buick.

Originally posted by Nick Micale
For NHRA stock class, the cam must have stock lift or less. The heads MUST be stock with no bowl work or port matching or 3 angle jobs.

Maybe I'm confused, but John's web site say "3 angle valve job" for Marka's car.

Ok...what is Markas TTA running????
What 60 foots???

Any other info?Or is the Motec the deal?

Originally posted by Razor
Ok...what is Markas TTA running????
What 60 foots???

Any other info?Or is the Motec the deal?

She has the current NHRA I/SA record at 11.19/119+

Since TTA89 went 11.66@117 with stock turbo, injectors, intercooler and downpipe with a stock TTA, I would guess there is at least .5 seconds and a couple mph in her NHRA "stock" trim race car, but what do I know.

AS I said earlier, I bet its less than a year before she's factored into D/SA. I/SA is silly for a TTA when poor Swede has to run H/SA with his GN :)

Where is the power coming from?

I mean a 117 mph is a lot of speed out of static injectors.I've been at 112.50 on a cool 56 degree nite all stock.I can see someone else being faster..but a full second and 7 mph...what am I missing?

I'm not at all saying it cant be done...but where is the majical HP coming from?And am I to assume stock converter too?And we're I hope not talking 50 degrees outside and a downhill track :D

Marka's times are altitude corrected at Firebird...it does not hurt to have Duttweiler as your engine builder....and, yes, the TTA will surely receive a new factor shortly....why do you think they built a TTA? (the HP factor is less than a GN.....)

any resemblence to a "stock" TTA is merely a coincidence......

Kind of ironic, don't you think?

For low 11s:

Typical approach - lots of parts and lots of money.

Gallina's (i.e. NHRA's) approach - no parts and huge money.

NHRA - keepin' things simple!!!

:D

Originally posted by Nick Micale
John's GN now has a 207 cu. in. motor with stage II heads replacing the M&A's that were used on the 210 motor. The dyno run on the 207 peaked at 1285 HP! I will be with this this car at Mission Raceway in Canada the first of May for a possible record run.

Nick, I stopped by Duttweiler's last month when they were putting the motor in John's car after the dyno runs. I enjoyed meeting John and seeing the work that's going into that car. Duttweiler was amazingly patient with me hanging out at the shop for probably 4 hours that Friday.

I particularly liked the intake they've got on it; it's an old Kinsler EFI stack setup with a separate plenum for each bank and a balance tube between them. Got me thinking...bad thing, as usual. :)

Razor, if you are talking about Marka's car, the injectors certainly are not stock, nor is the converter, nor is the ecm, or exhaust, or intercooler or......."stock" in NHRA parlance means stock displacement, and stock head volume, and weight...that is about it! (well, "stock" turbo too....)