Nice GN on a lot in Cedar Falls, Iowa

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
1987 Buick Grand National 2-Door 350 HP, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

This car caught my eye today on a lot in Cedar Falls. It is a REALLY nice example. I didn't get to drive it, but I got to look it over and listen to it run. They had picked it up at Mecum in Des Moines to resell. The lot owner said he'd sell it for $12k, but I see on the Mecum website that it sold yesterday for $13.5?

I am going to drive it tomorrow just to see what it's about. The lot owner was really interested in hearing my thoughts on it today. He just happened to be there preparing the other cars they had purchased at Mecum. If anyone is interested in this car, I'd be happy to look at it again.

I went in and drove it. My overall impression of the car is unfavorable since it had a half dozen issues that I couldn't quite put my finger on unless I had a scan tool.

1. The AC didn't work.
  2. The engine is listed as completely gone through, but no paperwork on who did it and why.
  3. Didn't idle well at all and had a lot of tip-in stumble. Not sure what was up with that without a tool.
  4. Liked to linger in 4th with the tc locked up and was REALLY lazy trying to wake up. I would go 3/4 throttle in 4th before it decided to do anything.
  5. Looks like it has a TE44, 3" downpipe and external gate, but it sure didn't run like the parts should allow it. It pulled hard, but it didn't feel like it had much more than a stocker.
  6. T-Tops rattle like heck.

They want to get 15k out of it, but I think that is too high. It is an overall nice appearing car, but there are some things hiding that put up red flags.