Nitros

i have only made a couple of 1/8 mile passes. our track was undergoing repairs on the 2nd half of the track all last year. im not real big on 1/8 mile so i have just been waiting for this season to start. best of the 2 passes was a 7.01 @103.33 with a traction limited 1.80 60'. leaving with 3 psi on foot brake and nitrous. Boost was at 22 psi off nitrous and about 24 on the nitrous. I am now up to 24 off and 26 on. (it feels stronger to say the least.)

If you can't spell Nitrous, you probably have no business messing with it

-Will

Even though you'll probably have a thread here soon about why nitrous is the devil and it blew your car up....I'll play along.

I started with a 35 shot and tuned from there. Most I've hit mine with is a 6131 @ 26 lbs. + a 75 shot. Stock longblock, held just fine.

I still say start with a 35 and tune from there. If you start with a 50 and screw up, best case scenario is a head gasket....

-Will

well you can only put a 120 shot of nitrous with stock cast pistons but it also depends on the gear you have and how much force your motor is going to be under. So really dont run the nitrous with a low highway gear cause when your car. Has a higher gear in it it runs a higher rpm which than puts less stress on your your pistons and bottom end when you use the nitrous.

I've used nitrous for years I think a 50 shot will be fine providing that octane is there and timimg is correct.

I've used nitrous for years I think a 50 shot will be fine providing that octane is there and timimg is correct.

If word of that got out in town you'd be in big trouble. :eek:
I agree nitrous will improve the spool and fun factor of the car. I had a buddy send me to pick his GN up for him after gettin the nitrous kit installed and it made a huge diffrence! The car had a PT-51 or 54, and only a 2800 stall. It drove great and the nitrous really woke it up from a stop light or a 30 mph roll. Had so much fun, the bottle was empty when I got to my destination!:biggrin:5 years later and hes still mad about it because he sold the car before he ever got to try it.:p Had a street chip and 110 octane out of the local pump in the tank. 50 to 75 hp shot though a NOS fogger nozzle in the uppipe.

you don't have to run race gas with nitrous!!! you DO have to add more fuel according to how big a shot you are going to use. 93 and a 150 shot of nitrous are fine as long as you are getting the right amount of fuel to mix with it. nitrous is a giant shot of oxygen, you need to even that out with the correct amount of fuel. as far as your trans goes, at what rpm do you plan to spray? off the line? you need to really beef the trans, u-joints and rear control arms. spray it in final drive after you have shifted out of 1,2 and your trans should handle it as it won't shock the drive line that bad at all. nitrous is the best bang for the buck and as long as you have a brain, it won't urt your moter at all. it can actually help it because it runs cooler. now with these cars you have to figure your boost limit with that and i stongly recomend an ign syst with a rev limiter.

you don't have to run race gas with nitrous!!!

With a 150 shot on a Buick.. and what a 150 shot does to the boost.. you do on 99.9% of the cars. As 14-16 PSI is the average boost limit on a TR engine,. Some get more.. some less. When you hit the button, that boost doesnt stay at 16 PSI. It shoots upwards of 20 PSI. To run that boost level, 93 octane wont cut it.

A 35 shot spikes the boost 3-5 PSI.

Unless you have a boost controller/wastegate set to 5 PSI and then hit the button so it runs 16 PSI.

Not saying its not safe. Not saying you dont need to tune it. Just saying boost will be affected and you better have "good gas" in the tank when you hit the switch.

Thanks Razor! I forgot to add the car ran 16 psi without the spray, and it 's better to be safe than sorry.

guys,this could be a dangerous thread for buick owners.there is nothing safe about pushing 20+year old stuff to its limits.what is safe and most importantly for how long is the question.nitrous hits the hardest of all the power adders inmo,the cylinder pressure when combinig nitrous and turbo will find all weaknesses in the drivetrain and the tuner.

make sure you get all the safety equipment as well with this kit. A FPSS and a good controller with a built in window switch will work wonders. Start small and work your way up. Theres no hurry.