Nitto 555 vs Mickey Thompson ET street

Chris996

The time has come (actually passed) for a new set of rear tires. I purchased my Buick with Nitto 275 60 15s and they were probably past their useful life although there was tread left. She could break the tires loose at 40 mph.
I've gotten glowing reviews about the MTs but also have a connection for the Nittos that makes them hard to pass up.

I was hoping for some real world reviews and comparisons between the two. Thoughts on performance and tire wear for a 95% street driven, low 11 second car would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
if your talking Nitto 555s they are going to be my next Street car tire .Im running BFGs drag radials now the MTs and drag radials are better traction without question BUT DONT GET CAUGHT IN THE RAIN .The Nittos will work on a street car better if it is a track car you drive on the street go with the MTs

The time has come (actually passed) for a new set of rear tires. I purchased her with Nitto 275 60 15s and they were probably past their useful life although there was tread left. She could break the tires loose at 40 mph.
I've gotten glowing reviews about the MTs but also have a connection for the Nittos that makes them hard to pass up.

I was hoping for some real world reviews and comparisons between the two. Thoughts on performance and tire wear for a 95% street driven, low 11 second car would be greatly appreciated.
Which et street?r or ss?either way they hook better than the nittos and the ss can handle the rain just as good as the nittos.mileage is subjective but I personally have seen mt et street radials go over 5000 miles as with any tire if your spinning them they wear fast.

I was looking at the et s/s. They seem to have a substantial tread pattern. I can get the Nittos for roughly $100 cheaper, and quite honestly, I wasn't sure how good the Nittos are (or aren't) as the ones I have are pretty old.
She only goes out on nice days, so for the most part rain isn't an issue.

As always thanks for taking the time to answer

Okay MT are the best for hooking up but they don't last . Nittos last . I run the nittos and then if I wana hook I go and slap on my slicks .

That is my issue as well. The nittos are past their usefulness and am replacing them with DRs (they got here today).

I have tried a short burn out and long burn outs to get them hot, but nothing will get them to hook.

I have the MT et/ss and really like them , my car is not driven in the rain so I dont worry bout that , The car is probably a high 11 sec car and they do hook very good . I got mine from Jegs for a little over 400 and they shipped to me free .
That is my issue as well. The nittos are past their usefulness and am replacing them with DRs (they got here today).

I have tried a short burn out and long burn outs to get them hot, but nothing will get them to hook.
What kinds DR did you get ? I have MT ss/et and very pleased . I've only had them a few hundreds miles tho

I have the MT et/ss and really like them , my car is not driven in the rain so I dont worry bout that , The car is probably a high 11 sec car and they do hook very good . I got mine from Jegs for a little over 400 and they shipped to me free .

What kinds DR did you get ? I have MT ss/et and very pleased . I've only had them a few hundreds miles tho

I got the ss as well but they are in the back of the truck and not installed yet. Thought of getting the Pros but they are not DOT and I will just put the slicks that I have on at the track if I went to hook better.

I had the ss on my Skylark and had to install double bead locks because they were sliding on the rim, they hooked so well.

I was also afraid to get caught out in the rain.

I did think about the Nittos as well as the Pros but the Pros are not made for daily driving . I have some slicks that a friend gave me but I dont go to the track very much so I just wanted the best hooking tire to drive every day so the MT is the route I went . I dont put alot of miles on my car so I hope they last for a while

I have an 11.50 GN. I used the Nitto 555 and the MT ss drags radials back to back. Both sets brand new. I actually had a better sixty foot 1.60 with the Nittos.
Not by much. I went 1.62 consistently with the MTs

Just watch either one on the wet roads, gotcaught in massive summer downpour without the tops with the nittos. Hydroed bam.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 201

You try dropping the pressure? I've heard 16-ish is a good start..

I was looking at the et s/s. They seem to have a substantial tread pattern. I can get the Nittos for roughly $100 cheaper, and quite honestly, I wasn't sure how good the Nittos are (or aren't) as the ones I have are pretty old.
She only goes out on nice days, so for the most part rain isn't an issue.

As always thanks for taking the time to answer
The et ss also are stiffer than the old et that it replaces and if you have a tight car it can be felt they drive nice but it looks like dot has had there way with them as the the increased water channels are all over the tire compared to the old et radial.

Okay MT are the best for hooking up but they don't last . Nittos last . I run the nittos and then if I wana hook I go and slap on my slicks .
You should read my post as I would bet easily I have more drag radial experience than most would even dream off.if you spin the tire consistently it will go away fast but if you have setup your car to dead hook the tire can go past 5000miles and i have seen them go more.here is why the r2 compound doesn't heat up to the point where the tire gets greasy in street driving or even highway driving.which means the tire only goes away when you melt the rubber off from spinning.we have had them live to the point where the sidewalks go away before the tread does.

That's a combination of sidewall design and compound softness.if the tire doesn't hook off a light burnout it the wrong tire for you or you suspension needs work.

Been happy with my Nittos. Have gone through 2 pairs since i've had the car. Get about 10k miles on them. Stock turbo on the street they hook up well enough for me while giving me the durability and safer feeling in rain.

MT will hook much better then then Nitto's, but keep in mind. If you drive in rain, you are going to have a problem with either tire.

I had the MT ET street DR's, then went to the pro's last summer. I have a set of 255/60 BF'S for street cruising and use the pro's at the track. I luv them.
I got caught 3-4 times in major torrential down pours with my MTDR's and never had an issue. Once coming back from SMP on the 401!
IMO, it's how you drive the car.