Nitto 555R or MT ET Street Radials?

DaySleeper

I know this has probably been beaten to death but for my combo, is it possible to drive around on the Nitto's without wrecking the car? I don't really want to spend the extra money and I have M&H slicks for racing.

I have had several near death experiences driving in the rain with the MT's coming home from work when it wasn't "supposed" to rain.

I had the Nitto 555r's on my mustang and i have the MT Drag Radials on the Granny. The Mickeys hook a lot better at the track but are REALLY SCARY in the rain and they dont last as long as the Nitto's. The Nittos need a big burnout at the track to hook and were AMAZING in the rain. They never gave me a scare in the rain, and we all know that fox body mustangs get real squirly. I also put like 20,000 street miles on the Nitto's and they still had a lot of life left when i sold the car. I know most of these guys swear by the Mickey Thompson drags radials, but when its time for new rears on the granny, i'll be going with the Nitto's. I have had too many scary rides in the rain with the MT, i have to stay below 40mph in the rain just to stay straight.

First offf all Drag radials will lose their traction ability after more and more heat cycles so driving any on the street and heating and cooling them will do them in.
With that said as far as rain Nittos hands down.

Nittos been driving in the rain with them for over 12 years now. :cool:

They don't work so good in snow. :eek:

I've been caught in the rain a few times with 275/50/15 Nittos without any issues. I was always very careful to stay out of the boost though.

I've also heard stories of people setting the cruise in the rain on drag radials -- very bad idea. Trans kicks down and throttle runs up to get up a hill or something....it's all bad news from there.

i have had the me street radials,bfg drag radials and hoosier drag radials all in the rain never had an issue.i dont drive aggressive in that situation though.

I've never ran the nittos but friends that used them said they last a lot longer and are better in the rain but don't hook nearly as well as the MT's.

just putting my 2 cents cuz the bfg drag radial in a 275 50 15 is only 226 a tire and in a 325 50 15 is only 256 a tire but i dont know if 325 will fit

MT's did great in the rain as long as you have more than half the tread left. Anything below that and the slightest amount of moisture is down right scary. A little bit of rain from a isolated shower one summer left the highway damp (not soaked). I drove over it on a long straight away at 60 mph and I felt the rear slip slightly, so I let off. Without any other input the car spun 540* and took up three lanes before I came to rest facing the opposite direction! Luckily there were no other cars around us! The next day I ordered new MT's. Mine were below the halfway point....

Why are you driving racing tires in the rain? DOT legal does not mean safe...bald is bald. Same reason you shouldn't use true street tires at the track; unless you race a Civic or something.

I'll drive 100mph in the rain with my summer tires. I'll also drive over 100mph in the quarter with my MT's.