NJ Inspection

djj624

Wondering if all the rules apply to my 86. I dont have an egr, and cat is gutted?

Yor beat unless its running real clean when they put the sniffer in the tail pipe. I need to figure out how im gonna pass with no cat at all:eek:

You guys can apply for collector registration if you drive less than 3,000 miles a year. No sniffer that way, only a visual inspection and they make sure your odometer works.

actually theres no visual except to look at your paperwork (license, reg, ins and collector voucher )

but your odometer does need to read 1mile higher then when they looked at it , you get to take short ride and come back showing it 1mi higher ,

Sounds like it got even easier then :D Last time I went I had to show that all my lights worked and honk, besides the 1 mile odometer ride. Now I might not even have to check my lights, this is too easy.

I think you have to go to your local DMV to get the application form and you mail that to Trenton. Then you get a voucher so you can go get the "inspection."

What is it gonna costcha later? I building a GN clone going for stock set-up using a Accell programable ECU with adjustable fuel control. I'm hoping after all the work I don't have the same problem.

For those who've gotten the collector registration....
What document(s) did you send them to cover for the proof of limited production thing?

What document(s) did you send them to cover for the proof of limited production thing?

Funny thing about that. I called a phone number on the application because I had the same question. The guy said something like this:

"Don't worry about that car it is on an approved list. We are just making sure crap cars like an 88 Civic that has holes in the floor and can't pass inspection doesn't become exempt."

I remember I actually started laughing because of the way he said it. Anyway, just had to put his name on the application and send in a few pics and it went right through, no documented backup needed.

I'd give them a call, get the OK and just send it in. It was very easy.

I've got the tag too,but I wonder if the roadside spot checks will do a visual or not regardless.

Funny thing about that. I called a phone number on the application because I had the same question. The guy said something like this:

"Don't worry about that car it is on an approved list. We are just making sure crap cars like an 88 Civic that has holes in the floor and can't pass inspection doesn't become exempt."

I remember I actually started laughing because of the way he said it. Anyway, just had to put his name on the application and send in a few pics and it went right through, no documented backup needed.

I'd give them a call, get the OK and just send it in. It was very easy.

:eek: :biggrin: lol
nice!

You have to have proof of collector's (limited use) insurance. The state doesn't do any checking on 'collectibility'.

Jim

You have to have proof of collector's (limited use) insurance. The state doesn't do any checking on 'collectibility'.

Jim

Was wondering because they state this in the fine print:

All applicants must submit evidence from either the manufacturer, a recognized car club (on letterhead) or collector organization that the vehicle applying for Collector Vehicle Status was issued in a limited edition quantity or that a limited quantity of the original production run remains.

All applicants must submit evidence from either the manufacturer, a recognized car club (on letterhead) or collector organization that the vehicle applying for Collector Vehicle Status was issued in a limited edition quantity or that a limited quantity of the original production run remains.

That might be new? They never asked me for anything other than a copy of the declarations page of my collector's insurance policy. And they make you drive the car around to make sure the odometer works. No other 'inspection'.

Jim

I used the production numbers page on the turbo regal web site,a shot of the VIN and the RPO label from the trunk and that flew with them.

Any which way you do it. You still have to have a Cat "by law" period. Even with the collector registration it is supposed to retain a cat if it came from the factory with it. They just don't check for it. If someone really wanted to bust your chops, they could, legally.

I also have to get through NJ inspection in the next month as well. I just picked up a metallic spun core 3" cat that flows %40 higher than a ceramic core one. I am hoping that the performance hit won't be too much, and I can just leave it in there. This and a TT emissions chip and I plan to get through conventionally. I'll let you know how it works out. If it doesn't, then I plan to go collector car direction as well.

Good Luck

Jim

This is definitely true but they have never asked me for anything other than my insurance card. I used to have a collector's policy through Sneed Robinson and now Grundy. Maybe they just have those companies down as collector's insurance?

That might be new? They never asked me for anything other than a copy of the declarations page of my collector's insurance policy. And they make you drive the car around to make sure the odometer works. No other 'inspection'.

Jim

That proof of collectability thing isn't new, they just don't inforce it on our cars. I remember reading that 5 years ago and I was freaking out on how I could prove it and get something on letterhead. That's when I called them and they said don't worry about it.

I also have to get through NJ inspection in the next month as well. I just picked up a metallic spun core 3" cat that flows %40 higher than a ceramic core one. I am hoping that the performance hit won't be too much, and I can just leave it in there. This and a TT emissions chip and I plan to get through conventionally. I'll let you know how it works out. If it doesn't, then I plan to go collector car direction as well.

Good Luck

I had a 3" high flow cat the last time I went through regular inspection and thought the same thing, I'll just leave it in there. Well a few years later I finally got it out of there and performance wise I'm glad it is gone. Good thing is I'm sure you'll pass with a high flow cat and the TT emissions chip.