no fuel pressure

jim homick

hi. i have a 87 g.n. that wont start. it died while i was driving it. the fuel pump will not come on and prime the rail. its a new pump and a new hotwire kit. the fuses are good. the gray wire by the alternator will not start the pump. the wiring from the fuse panel to the pump is good. i've applied power to the pink wire at the fuse panel and the car starts and runs. any ideas are appreciated. thanks, jim

Have you tested the fuel pump relay? It's the middle relay on the passenger side fenderwell. Depending on the hotwire kit, you might also have a 30amp four prong relay that needs checking ... often times this is in the trunk area.

If you probe the green wire coming off the relay, it should energize for a few seconds while a buddy turns the key to the run position. Does it do that?

Then I would suspect the relay that came with your hotwire kit. If you can power the pump directly and the factory relay tests fine, there isn't much left. :) What kind of hotwire kit is it?

The wiring from the fuse panel to the pump is good. i've applied power to the pink wire at the fuse panel and the car starts and runs. any ideas are appreciated. thanks, jim

If the Racetronix harness is plugged in and you are able to get the pump to run by tapping into the factory wiring then the harness is working.

Please check your inbox.
Thanks

i just checked the fuse in the hotwire harness and it was blown, replacing it changed nothing. how can i test the relay?

My relay does not click either and I noticed that the black wire looks like it is pulled out the bottom to far...maybe I need to ground it good to firewall and see. But I think that I have let it set to long and gas has went bad and stopped up pump.

relay does not click-now what?

I assume even though you didn't hear a click that you put 12v on pin 2 and got 12 volts on your meter when placed on pin 4? The click isn't always super audible. Follow through with complete testing and if that fails, you have your culprit.

I haven't seen the relay in the Racetronix kit. I made my own hotwire kit and used a 30 amp Bosch relay I got at the stereo store for two bucks.

My relay does not click either and I noticed that the black wire looks like it is pulled out the bottom to far...maybe I need to ground it good to firewall and see. But I think that I have let it set to long and gas has went bad and stopped up pump.

We have granted you access to the info you require to properly diagnose your problem. It is important to follow the procedure without skipping steps so you do not end up going in circles and randomly replacing unnecessary parts. If you require more help you can simply request it.

Thanks.

hello again. a new relay didnt solve anything. it caused the fuse in the hotwire kit to blow. i have followed the factory troubleshooting diagram. everything seems to be working as it should. i hooked my battery charger to the tan wire at the c209 connector at the fuse panel, and used my test lite at the rear of the car before the fuel pump plug, the light came on. when i plugged the fuel pump in, the wires to the pump got quite warm. i did the same thing with the pink wire and the fuel pump came on, am i on to something?

hello again. a new relay didnt solve anything. it caused the fuse in the hotwire kit to blow. i have followed the factory troubleshooting diagram. everything seems to be working as it should. i hooked my battery charger to the tan wire at the c209 connector at the fuse panel, and used my test lite at the rear of the car before the fuel pump plug, the light came on. when i plugged the fuel pump in, the wires to the pump got quite warm. i did the same thing with the pink wire and the fuel pump came on, am i on to something?

Did you post this info in our support forum?