No Offense to the younger members here

Rogue Leader

Eat my valvestem caps!!!!
This is what happens when young immature people get a 400hp car (yes I know its a GTI, but the guy had a high 11 sec slip to back it up).

(car for sale)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1064944&page=1

(car is wrecked, new owner and his passenger are muerto)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1162654&page=1

If you look through the posts you'll see the forums have this guy responding like a typical ricer (or Fasterthanyou) and the car had no passenger seatbelt either...

Brilliant...

hey now, its not just 'young' people that are like this, its all the person.. i mean, i have owned two cars, an el camino and my grand national, and since i was 16 both of my cars have been making over 400rwhp... im still here... maybe thats because i can control my self? and i know when its 'ok' to have fun with the car?

i know people way older people then me, 30 or more (im 18) that are less mature then i am when it comes to driving and it scares me to drive with them.... so, i think its not an age issue, i think its a state of mind issue...

still sucks though..

It's not about age, it's about smarts.

Idiots don't need to own fast cars.

Seeing that reminded me of a bumper sticker from the 70's

" Ban low performance drivers, Not high performance cars"

that actually happened a few minutes up the road from me. that car was trying to run me in my gn no more than 5 minutes before and i wasn't feeling it cus he was driving like and idiot. he hit that bus at 100 mph.

That's pretty sad.

What did that car end up selling for? $12,000?
That's a joke. Who'd pay 12 grand for that when you can get a very clean 11 second fox mustang, or Turbo Buick for that money?
Weird.

Didn't get a chance to download the pix from my work DT but I have to agree its not just the youngsters doing it. Working down here at the Chevy store I see it just about every day. Some (insert age here) comes down and spends some of their 6 figure income on a C5 or Camaro SS after spending his informative years(read HS and higher education) driving some POS underpowered import and if the car doesn't end up in our collision center than its either in service getting something replaced, a lot of off roading and busted transmissions, or they are asking some really stupid questions in the parts dept(why wont Vortec heads fit on my Z06?). Just last week I had to flash a PCM for a guy that had to be in his 70's because he wanted a stock one for back up because he just put a supercharger on his C5 and his hands shake to much and he cant work on his car. Oh well go figure. Hey everybody have a Merry Christmas and keep the shiny side up or something like that.

Eric Fisher

Its hard to have sympathy for people who get hurt due to their own stupidity. Unfortunatly the passenger paid the ultimate price. Although age isn't a huge factor in weather or not someone should own a 400+ hp car, maturity is and i don't know any 17-18 yr olds who i would trust driving in a fast car. I've had my 87 GN sincei was 18, i'm 22 now. Its approx 425 hp at the crank and i operate responsibly, but when i do my test runs or any messing around, i'm ALWAYS alone and ALWAYS on a straightaway with no side streets, and ALWAYS wear my seatbelt.

I think the young dudes in here are cool!

There are stupid people at all levels.
I read the drunk driving arrests in my area & most are 35 to 50 range. I call them big little kids
:rolleyes:

Age can be a big factor!

There are exceptions to every rule. But I can tell you that when I was 16 I was a complete idiot when it came to driving. I hit 2 parked cars in my '76 Volare and ended up losing my licence for one year. I had to sell the Volare and take the bus to school. How humiliating! when I got my licence back I literally drove like an old lady! I had saved up to buy a very clean '78 Nova that I treated very well. It took me losing my licence to learn.

Re: Age can be a big factor!

Originally posted by bensttype
There are exceptions to every rule. But I can tell you that when I was 16 I was a complete idiot when it came to driving. I hit 2 parked cars in my '76 Volare and ended up losing my licence for one year. I had to sell the Volare and take the bus to school. How humiliating! when I got my licence back I literally drove like an old lady! I had saved up to buy a very clean '78 Nova that I treated very well. It took me losing my licence to learn.

Theres always exceptions to every rule, especially when it comes to young drivers... theres plenty here that are good, but statistically and generally younger drivers cant handle it, but they think they can!

I know if I had my old GN when I was 17 or so I probably would have killed myself.

And I agree "Ban Low Performance Drivers, not High Performance Cars!"

Well it looks like maturity and irresponsibility played a huge role here. The driver was definitely careless about his own life let alone the life of someone else's. Its very unfortunate for both families espcially during the holidays. From my own driving habits I dont allow my passengers not to wear their seatbelts, if they dont wear it they dont get a ride. And from what I hear the car had a 5pt rollbar installed but neither occupant was wearing their seatbelt. I guess that rollbar gave them a false sense of security. It definitely shows its not worth taking it on the street anymore. I guess racing on the street for some people dosent give them the same adrenalin rush that it does at the track. Definitely unfortunate.

Originally posted by Wht87T
I guess that rollbar gave them a false sense of security. It definitely shows its not worth taking it on the street anymore. I guess racing on the street for some people dosent give them the same adrenalin rush that it does at the track. Definitely unfortunate.

Lets not turn this thread into another debate about how street racing is evil, inmature, dangerous, etc..:rolleyes:

Bottom line-sounds like the kid had far more car then he had brains. :( It's very sad to hear about something like this, especially this time of year, but I do hate when people relate accidents like this to street racing and street racers. Besides everyone here, has probably done their fare share of stupid stuff, but have obviously been lucky compared to this poor kid.

Lets not turn this thread into another debate about how street racing is evil, inmature, dangerous, etc..

I wasent going that route.... yes your right I'm sure all of us have done something stupid on the street. It dosent mean it belongs there. I've been there and done that... I myself have been busted for street racing and was able enough to get out of it because the cop was a moron. I almost put my career in jeopardy and its definitely not worth it. I learned my lesson...

rogue leader, arent you like 22??............

im 21 and will be driving a 700hp RWD car, just gotta have brains...... and some money to burn ;)

Originally posted by 1000MileStylez
rogue leader, arent you like 22??............

im 21 and will be driving a 700hp RWD car, just gotta have brains...... and some money to burn ;)

23 actually.... and 100x different person than I was at 19 (the age of this guy). I see it now in my sister (who is 19).

Ive always been told Im more mature than my age (most people think Im older by the way I look and act).

at 18-19 many (not all) kids think they are invincible. thats just not the case and this guy got a hard lesson in it. Unfortunately theres tons of em out there, I know I drove like a complete asshole when I was 19, I never had my own disaster, but I know what I did was stupid. Now I drive like a normal human being and the cops are off my back.

Originally posted by Rogue Leader
Now I drive like a normal human being and the cops are off my back.
Isn't that amazing how that happens!? And we get accused of picking on "junior" when we do give them tickets. Hope there's none of those parents in here....

Believe it or not Tom you will see the same difference when you are 25, then again at 27, then again at 30. Sometime around the there the change usually slows down..... ;)

I look back to all of the stupid things I did as a kid and just shake my head now....but they made perfect sense to me back then. :rolleyes: