Noise coming from torque converter area

jrl2512

So my car is making his dreadful and worrying grinding/rattling noise.
At first I thought it was the catalytic converter, but after purchasing a stethoscope, I determined the noise to be coming from the torque converter area. The car runs and shifts just as fine as it did before the rattling noise. Any help would be appreciated.

First thing to do is remove the inspection cover and check the converter to flex plate bolts to see if they are loose.

Sounds like 1 of the t/c bolts is banging around in the cover..........

I'm gonna take it to my trans guy, he's an expert with 2004r transmissions. Thought since I am clueless when it comes to trans it'd be best to hand it over to someone who knows what he's doing. I'll keep you guys posted

It would take you 10 mins to check the bolts on the torque converter...

I agree with these guys it sounds like the bolts.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Clueless? The best way to learn is to dive underneath, wrench in hand. Grab a 10 mm socket wrench and simply remove the black, sheetmetal converter cover; four small bolts. Then, see if you can wiggle the converter relative to the engine flexplate. The converter is bolted to the flexplate with three evenly spaced bolts. You can usually roll the motor around by hand or use a pry bar in the starter gear on the flexplate to leverage it around.

Took it to the trans guy. He tightened it up for me free of charge. Gave him a tip of course. Definitely recommend gerre transmissions in south jersey for these trannies

Well...I'm assuming it was a loose bolt like everyone was saying? I'm sure they are competent people but just because I a guy can tighten a torque converter bolt, doesn't make him an BRF 200-04R expert by any means. Just be careful when it comes time for a rebuild. That's all I'm saying.

Well I already had my transmission rebuilt by him before, and a lot of other GN guys at a carshow I went to recommended him so I have faith in him

Although I am kicking myself in the ass for not doing it myself, oh well. Now I know how to do it myself thanks to everyone who responded. Yes the converter was loose.

I always use red loctite on those bolts. If not you may be doing this again...