Noisy oil pump???

Huffer

Has anyone ever experienced a noisy oil pump? Just did a complete rebuild using a Sealed Power Hi Volume oil pump- motor runs great with good oil pressure, 20-25 at idle. The problem is that when first started there is a rapping noise coming from the front cover area, which quiets somewhat as the car warms up. Replaced the cam sensor, no change. The lifters and valves are quiet. I noticed a little lumpiness when first turning the pump drive by hand to lube the engine, but didn't notice it when priming by the drill. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Dave:(

Maybe it's your timing chain. If you used a roller chain, your not supposed to use the tensioner. Just a suggestion. I use a HV oil pump and have done so for years. Never any noise.

Thanks, John- No, I used a standard chain with the tensioner- I hate the thought of pulling it apart again-

My 50K mile 87GN is doing the same thing. I was told it's the oil pump and nothing much can be done about it. Supposedly some cars do it more than others. Maybe, but I would love to hear some other suggestions. I may try shimming my cam sensor to try a cheap fix. Hopefully others will chime in here with a good fix.

Hi Dan, Thanks for the reply. I think my next move will be to replace the oil pump gear set. I think that can be done without pulling the timing cover.

I had this happen to one that i did. It turned out it was the gears catching on the edge of the extension where the bores open up in the middle. kinda hard to explain. i rounded the lead in corner where the drive gear enters the bore and it was fine.

hope this helps,

Thanks Jason, I'll probably drop the pump gears and take a look. I have one of your girdles on this engine, very pleased with it, nice fit, nicely made and no leaks. Now to build some boost.

I shimmed my cam sensor per the directions in previous posts and now my cold start idle ticking noise is completely gone! Figured it was worth a shot for only a $4 shim kit (thin washers).

Huffer,
It's possible both of the cam sensors you have had excessive up/down movement.

Dan, Glad to hear you cured your noise. The cam sensor that was in my engine was shimmed and I replaced that with a new one. However, I hadn't started the engine for about a month, but when I started it the noise was there for about 5 seconds and then it disappeared. Hasn't come back. We'll see.
Good luck, Dave:)