non a/c heater box

monte379

looking for info and parts to change over to a non a/c heater box in a 1986 g-body (monte carlo ss) any info on this swap and where to find the parts would be appreciated . thanks

looking for info and parts to change over to a non a/c heater box in a 1986 g-body (monte carlo ss) any info on this swap and where to find the parts would be appreciated . thanks

I have an entire spare kit out of a cutlass, with ducting and everything. I actually am doing this swap in my GN as we speak. I can provide pictures if needed.

Where in indiana are ya located?

I have an entire spare kit out of a cutlass, with ducting and everything. I actually am doing this swap in my GN as we speak. I can provide pictures if needed.

that would be great ! thanks. located in bluffton indiana , just about 30 minuets south of fort wayne

the controller

you also need to mount the fresh air duct handles under the strg column

What year was the Cutlass? I stopped and looked at a beater 1978 yesterday without A/C and wondered if the parts would fit my '87.

thanks for the pic's pacecarta ! looks like it saves a decent amount of space but not as much as i thought it would. would be nice if the blower motor was a little farther away from the engine. did this make it much easier to get to the back spark plugs,header bolts and valve cover ?

#6 isnt a problem with the a/c box , just have to have the right tools
take off the steel plate thats on the ac box and you've magically got more room

easier yes , i have a pic somewhere from the side showing the room
and pulling out studs to pull the head in the car was much easier as i recall all i had to do was remove the two tall center studs and i was able to lift the head off

here it is

pacecarta how much extra work if you had to pull the head with the original a/c box still in tact? I've heard people talking about pulling the engine to do hg replacements, does having the a/c box prevent one from changing a pass side hg if engine is not pulled?

Just wondering.

head gaskets can be done in car with bolts or studs even with the A/C box

just easier with a delete plate and much easier on the back doing head gaskets on an engine stand because its not just the heads that have to come off to do composite(stock style) gaskets , you also need to pull the oil pan to clean out the old headgasket fluff from the pickup screen and to clean the pan thoroughly if there was any antifreeze mixed either when the gasket blew (milkshake) or when the head was removed

with the newer arp studs they can be removed with an allen wrench so just remove the studs and the head comes off easy
the only time its an issue doing gaskets in the car is if there are older studs that dont have a hex in the end to unscrew them

if its just head gaskets i do the in them car, having a lift makes doing the exhaust crossover and oil pan removal easier.

Attachments

• leo car 003 (Small).jpg
    leo car 003 (Small).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 472
  • Many pics for car 031 (Small).jpg
    Many pics for car 031 (Small).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 509