Non-Assist Brakes???

thewoodieb

Woodie
My electro-hydraulic brake booster went out months ago.

My question is: Is there anyone out there using a non-power assist brake master cylinder? Something similar to what a cup car would use? The reason im asking is because I don't want to have another factory tr booster go out or use a vacuum booster either because of the loss of brakes when building boost. Right now I can hold the car at 2000 rpm at the line with the failed unit, but it is kinda dangerous during normal road conditions. If there has been anyone using a non-power assist master cylinder, if you could let me know what your running I would really appreciate it. Old Nova's run them, but I'd like to something that will bolt up. Thanks!:smile:

you mean manual brakes

a kit like this that use the mopar master cylinder (also sold by wilwood) comes complete with the firewall billet adapter and what you need to get the rod connection correct

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x244/5door/TNT_Parts/78-87_G-body/170101.jpg?t=1257265709

had to run to store for some brake line adapters but all in all it wasnt that hard
the adjustable rod makes the conversion easier but requires drilling the pedal arm for a through bolt to hold the spherical rod end
would have been easier if the car had a vac brake pedal arm because the hole you need to drill is referenced off a vacuum brake arm pin the PM rod is close to where you need to drill the 3/8 hole . i removed the pin on the PM arm and welded it closed then drilled the proper hole near the bottom

takes a little getting used coming from power assist but it stops very well and have installed a similar setup in a buddies car that traps 130s

What would this system cost? Do you have a direct link to the system? And a vacuum assist pedal from say a 84 Monte carlo would bolt right up? Thanks this has been super helpful!