Non lock up cruising question

stack1

Senior Stacker
I've done alot of searching but I can't seem to be able to get clarification on this. We all know that non locking up with a lock up converter will eventually ruin the tranny at highway speeds. But is it less damaging to run a non lock tranny and converter since the conversion kit allows more fluid flow? Would adding a tranny cooler make a difference? I don't do much highway driving but I'd like to have some insurance to know that I'm not ruining anything by driving around too long.

I would also like to know the answer to your question, i just converted mine to a 10" 3200 non lockup Art Carr and wondered the same thing. I did the pump mod and it's working great but i am curious about long trips also.

Running a non-L/U convertor doesn't hurt the tranny a bit.... however it WILL make the trans. run quite a bit hotter... so if you run one, you would be wise to invest in a GOOD trans. cooler if you plan on long runs. If you run the stock trans cooler/oil cooler/radiator, it will make the engine oil run alot hotter too, which of course, pushes on the water temp as well.... for comparison on my mostly stock car (well equipped with gages...;))

on a hot day/long trip (stock converter, stock coolers, 185 thermostat) on the highway:

locked: water=185, trans=210, oil=240
unlocked: water=200, trans=250, oil=285 and scary rising on looong uphills...

just my experience.... :)

Running a non-L/U convertor doesn't hurt the tranny a bit.... however it WILL make the trans. run quite a bit hotter... so if you run one, you would be wise to invest in a GOOD trans. cooler if you plan on long runs. If you run the stock trans cooler/oil cooler/radiator, it will make the engine oil run alot hotter too, which of course, pushes on the water temp as well.... for comparison on my mostly stock car (well equipped with gages...;))

on a hot day/long trip (stock converter, stock coolers, 185 thermostat) on the highway:

locked: water=185, trans=210, oil=240
unlocked: water=200, trans=250, oil=285 and scary rising on looong uphills...

just my experience.... :)

Thank's for the info, i do have an aftermarket cooler on mine.