NOS Exhaust Headers

Tom Walker

Tommy2Tone
I have a NOS set of exhaust manifolds hanging on a spare motor. They've never seen heat. Before I use them, is there something I can do to make them survive the extreme heat cycles without cracking? Maybe a ceramic coating? Should it be coated inside and out? I know the stainless Buick used isn't the best so what will help most?

The best thing you can do to avoid you cracking them is to send them to me.......:D

Bryan

Sorry about your thread Tom, but in short no, there is nothing really to help. I've seen guys reweld everything and they still eventually crack somewhere. Coatings are great and do help the heat dissipate.
I'm not a believer in coating them internally. In theory it works great. Yours being never used makes them even a better candidate if you are set on doing them internally. But there is actually no way to properly pretreat/prep and control the coating process on the inside...... But that's just my opinion..:D

I may be wrong but I would be afraid of a piece of the coating coming off of the inside and going through the turbo.

Could you weld two triangles of steel where it cracks? One on the inner side of the manifold and one on the outer to keep the three and five collectors together?

Yep. Weld in a triangular gusset. And if you really want to try and keep it uncracked maybe put it in an industrial oven and anneal the shit out of it.

Guess this has never been approached before. These are the only NOS headers I've ever seen. I 'd like to use them when I swap heads as I'm pretty sure my old ones leak. Yrs ago I bought a spare engine and they are on it NOS turbo, too.

Is your car is an extremely low mileage, all original car ?
If not, and you plan to drive it, I would say sell the NOS parts for top dollar to someone with a pristine car, and buy a set of T/A stainless headers. No more worries!
Just my opinion :)

Is your car is an extremely low mileage, all original car ?
If not, and you plan to drive it, I would say sell the NOS parts for top dollar to someone with a pristine car, and buy a set of T/A stainless headers. No more worries!
Just my opinion :)

I agree. They're worth a substantial amount of money. Sell them and buy ta stock replacements.

I have a low mileage set that's never been cracked and I am probably going to do the same thing if that engine ever gets to run.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Whatever someone's willing to pay! Ebay with a link posted in parts for sale would give an honest result

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app