NY New Window Tint Law

Sam, make sure your windows are down when you get it inspected. There's no law that your windows have to function or be in the up position for an inspection. However, I have been nailed for tint at a road block/dwi check. Pull the fuse in case they attempt to put them up.
Actually, it is part of the inspection that says that they have to be checked for DOT compliance and if can't be closed to see the DOT marking on the bottom they fail. Came through as a message from the state that inoperable windows fail for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any CT police officer state and local can issue you an inspection notice for "violations" as well as any MVD inspectors but I don't believe they do roadside stops anymore here.

Including exhaust, tint, noise levels, lights, horn, etc.

Then you have to go to a MVD inspection station and prove you're legal.

They don't even have to be correct in their assumptions to issue one as proven in my case as my car was legal.

No they don't do yearly inspections I never said that but you do have to be legal.

Warning Tickets: If you have received a warning ticket from a law enforcement agency for window tint, VIN problems or if the officer indicates 'DMV Inspection Only', you must present the vehicle for inspection at a DMV inspection lane. All other warning tickets may be presented to a Connecticut Licensed Dealer or Repairer for inspection. "

Last edited:
Hard to make eye contact when they are looking at their phones!!!:mad:
Its also hard to make eye contact because most cop cars have limo dark tint on their side windows. So if I get stopped by a cop with tinted windows, will he have to give himself a ticket also?