o2 sensor location?

dssking

Gentlemen,

My 87 GN is running very rough upon cold startup, however, runs beautiful (although smells a little rich) after it warms up..... figured it was a bad 02 sensor so I picked one up today......

Upon looking at the pipe that feeds the turbo, I can't see an O2 sensor.... I don't have access to the lift yet
because the Corvette is still on it (battery needs to be charged). So.... where is it?

Secondly, many have said that "Welcome to the GN world" .....they all run rough at cold start. I can't see this being the case........

Suggestions?

Gentlemen,
Secondly, many have said that "Welcome to the GN world" .....they all run rough at cold start. I can't see this being the case........
Suggestions?
They all don't run rough on startup. What chip are you running?

Okay, easy to see but the new one won't thread in that I got from CarQuest.
Does anyone have a part number that will work?

All O2's have the same threads. Its a bitch to get started with the angle it sits. Did mine today and took a few to get it just right. Always start them by hand to keep from cross threading.

If the threads on the one you removed are galled over it may need a thread chaser before the new one will start as well. Had that happen before but usually when the old one comes out hard all the way out.

What brand of O2 sensor did you purchase at Carquest, lots of members swear by the Denso or Bosch if that running rich problem persists
after you change the O2 sensor,it probably the matching of your chip or a injector is leaking down.

Probly not the o2 if rough at cold start up. O2 is in open loop when cold and mixture regulated by ecu. And yes o2 location on. These cars is a pita. If you have original chip that is most likely your problem. They are horrible.gm had to mess with them for emissions compliance and it made the turbo cars run like crap. Replace the chip with one from Eric at tt. You won't regret it.

Chip v 5.7 classic for stock to mild and call for tech support for specific build needs.

Gentlemen,

Thanks. It's a Bosch o2 sensor. I'll try getting some thread chaser tomorrow and retry. This is why forums are great..........so many helpful people.

By the way, the old one threaded back in with little effort, which is why I figured it was the wrong o2 sensor. But I will try again tomorrow........

Thanks. Will post results tomorrow........ and yes, ordering a chip too! Got a link anyone?

Cheers

Last edited:
The Bosch wouldn't thread into my downpipe. Return it and get a Delco or Denso.

The Bosch wouldn't thread in? Now the search begins.......hope I can find one here in Toronto (Markham)..........
Well, I'm heading down to Carlisle, PA this weekend, so someone in the 150 acres may have one.......

But chip.........ordering in a few minutes........

Kirbans open house is Saturday. It's a hike from Carlisle, around 2 hours I think. But worth the drive if you are in the neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just called them.........since they're running their own event, they won't be at Carlisle............ perhaps it's worth a drive out! 6 hours from Toronto to Carlisle........what's another 2 hours Saturday morning?

I think Dennis will be at Carlisle Thurs. I will be there Friday, then his open house Saturday. You can get a Denso at Autozone and probably the Delco, too. You can order one today at any AZ on your route so it will be waiting for you when you get there.

I found an AC o2 sensor locally....will attempt to install....although now that I know that the Bosch doesn't thread into our downpipes, the AC should fit no problem.

Are you still running the stock maf? Mine had a rough idle when cold and was running rich. Turns out it was the maf sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, stock, as far as I know......... perhaps I should swap that out..... I really need a scanmaster......