octane boost

no-nos

hi guys,yeah it me again i just about to buy octane boost from an auto parts store in my area , you know the ones that come in a bottle type and say 108+ or it has a picture of a horse, what do you guys think are they safe for our tr's or should i stay away from them? thanks for your help

carlos

I wouldn't waste my money. The "boost" in the octane is very minimal, and the chemicals in that junk form deposits in the motor. (i.e. some funky orange residue.) Of course, thats just my 2¢.

Ryan

thanks for your opinion ryan, i was not aware of the residue build-up whew!, i almost grabed to bottels of that stuff

thanx again , carlos

Carlos, Ryan is absolutely correct. That auto parts store crap will leave deposits on your spark plugs and chambers which will cause more detonation than reduce it. If you want a cheap "drop in" alternative you can use Xylene or Tolulene straight in your tank. Do a seach in the Tech section for more info.

And there is always an alky kit!
Good Luck:D

thanx louie, those links are great :) and by the way 9s wow :eek: thats an awesome dude

thanx again, carlos

If you were still looking for a good octane booster I have found that the new Lucas one in the red bottle works better than all the others I have tried. You still can't go crazy with your boosy but it has helped me get it on the 20 psi range with about 1 degree of knock. It also works very well in n/a cars. I have tried it in my 02 Trans Am and it responded amazingly well and the car just pulled and felt strong the whole way through.

Forget all the store bought octane improvers, they're all worthless... NOS, Lucas, 104+ etc they don't work with our cars. They say they raise the octane 7 points, but what that means is it goes from 93 octane to 93.7 octane and in the process coats the internals of your engine. Like was said, do a search on the net or on hear for xylene. Most of those octane boosters are mostly xylene or toulene, and they charge $8 for a 16 oz bottle. Why not buy a gallon of xylene for $8 and raise your octane by a true 7 points, from 93 to 100 octane. xylene is approximately 118 octane.

3 gallons of 93 octane| 3*93=279
1 gallon of 118 octane| 1*118=118

279+118=397
divide that by 4 gallons 397/4=99.25 octane

i did just that blk6pack, looked up on xylene and nothing but good news and feed back i'm buying it later today

thanx again:)

carlos

Yep, I used xylene once before I got my alchy kit and once when my alchy kit was out for repair. Works great.

I definately recommend buying an alchy kit. There seems to be a few used ones for sale sometimes.

i wish i could find one on sale:) no rush i'll get one i am going to get the xylene but i'm not sure how to boost up my car? ( adj-boost that is) i have a buddy of mine in the other end of town but time is hard to come by

thanks jsta6
carlos

dam your good , thanx jsta6 thats great
carlos

p.s. when will you be at the towers? would lke to pick up a couple of disc

ok one last question, i just came back from buying the xylene and i also purchased marvel mystery oil i heard i was suppose to add some of this as well? is that true?

carlos

Yes, use the MMO. Add about 3oz to a full brew. I have used Xylene many times and the only drawback would be cold starts.

Bo

ok i added 1 gallon of exylene and 2oz of mmo and i hear a whisteling sound( like when an old coffee maker) that happens when i nail it but i then back off and the noise is gone any ideas?

carlos

How many pounds of boost are you hitting? Sure its not your turbo? I can't even run 16 pounds of boost with no knock on straight pump gas. With xylene I can run 20:D

it's not a knocking sound it's more of a whistleing sound a low like hot water steaming
not sure what the boost is at i don't know how too really tell i can't open it up around where i live to many cars

carlos