Odd-ball 200-4R code

56nomad

Hi from UK

My first post and I need your help. I've been offered, sight unseen, a 200-4R has the code on the tag of 096871CTF0588 to go behind my mild 350 sbc. I've scoured the Internet and have also checked the code out on http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html (which appears to be the oracle!!) but something does not add up from what I can see. Firstly, there are 13 digits which suggests a transmission from 1982-85. But CTF (namely the addition of 'F' to the two letter code) suggests this is a 1986-90 transmission. But 1986-90 had 15 digit codes. The two numbers before the two or three letter code usually denotes the model year. In my case it is '71'. 1971? I doubt it!!! There are other anomolies such as '8' for the Plant Shift! Incidentally, on the tag there is a CT in the top LH corner and an F in the top RH. Can anyone decipher my code? Or can anyone suggest another way of identifying this 'box?

Pulling my hair out,

Ian

Chris

Thanks for that. If it that is its origin then I'm going to be happy that it's a 'V8' core and not a V6. How have you determined that from the code and what year do you believe it is?

Do you have another source of codes that you can share with us?

Thanks again

Ian

Thanks, Hacksaw. I already had the 'powerrslid' guide but appreciate the second link as it mentions a specific kit for the TV cable problem. Unfortunately, neither can properly id the code on the trans that I've been offered. Chris718 has provided me with the application (305 cid Caprice) but I'd really like to find out the year of manufacture as later transmissions ('87 and later, I believe) are superior to the earlier ones. Maybe Chris can confirm that too?

Chris?

Thanks

Ian

096871ctf0588

Ok I will break this down:
trans was built on June 9 1987
trans was built on the first shift meaning morning.
It appears to be a Canadian Caprice with federal emissions and a 305 engine. (CTF)
The last 4 digits should match the Vin of the car it came out of.

Hope this helps.

WE4
Bruce
www.PTSXTREME.com

Thanks Bruce (PTSExtreme) and CKPerformance (Chris718, who answered by email). You've both come up with the similar information for which I'm extremely greatful.

So the code is as simple as:
09 = day of month
6 = month
87 = year
1 = shift
CTF = 305 Caprice + more info
0588 = VIN

Just trying to get it clear in my mind as to why the code format is different to that of this link, http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html , which, it appears, 'was' the gospel. As the trans turns out to be Canadian is the coding (Julian date, shift, application, VIN) specific to Canada?

Apologies for more questions but I have to quench my thirst for information. It'll also be a helpful post for future decoders.

Huge thanks

Ian

56nomad said:
Thanks Bruce (PTSExtreme) and CKPerformance (Chris718, who answered by email). You've both come up with the similar information for which I'm extremely greatful.

So the code is as simple as:
09 = day of month
6 = month
87 = year
1 = shift
CTF = 305 Caprice + more info
0588 = VIN

Just trying to get it clear in my mind as to why the code format is different to that of this link, http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html , which, it appears, 'was' the gospel. As the trans turns out to be Canadian is the coding (Julian date, shift, application, VIN) specific to Canada?

Apologies for more questions but I have to quench my thirst for information. It'll also be a helpful post for future decoders.

Huge thanks

Ian

Julian Date is a sequential number from 1 to 365 representing the day of the year. So if Julian date is really used here, it is the 96th day of 1987 and not really 06/09/87. I doubt if that really matters to you here though, more important is that the trans was produced in 87 and was not an early unit.