Odd sort of backfire

Sinful6

Aspiring Guru
OK, so I just installed a new Trans+/LS1 MAF on one of my Buicks, I hopped in, and took it for a test drive. The car seemed to run fine, I got on it a few times, and all was good. However, I was near WOT one of the times, and it backfired(not through the intake). The car did not die or anything.

I immediately checked the scanmaster, and it read O2's @ 800mV, and KR @ 3.8*. I was running ~20psi(turned it down for testing). This doesn't seem like enough KR to me to be the cause of a backfire. Also, it has never done this before.

I am beginning to wonder if it is a MAF problem...

I reset the ECM(via orange wire) after installing the Trans+, and after the car warmed up, the Blm's settled at ~146at idle(I figure that the extra air would make the car run a little leaner). They normally rest at 107 at idle.

Had the same problem, disconnect the timing wire's from the Trans+ completely and test drive to verify the problem. IF that solves the problem re-splice/solder the connections.

- Scott

I'm getting the same thing on occasion if I am easing into the throttle to about 3/4 vs nailing it and holding it to the floor. I pity the poor guy in the Mitsubishi Eclipse who was right next to me when it happened. He must have thought I blew it up or something.:D LS1 and Trans+. Full throttle runs and no problems at all.