OEM battery

ls6bigdog

Im looking for a battery for my 87 t type. Do they make a repo. I want a orignal looking battery. Thanks

Unfortunately I tossed my original battery 15 years ago but have posted a picture of one that I took off eBay.
There is a company that makes repro batteries...I could not find their card but they are at the Hershey & Carlisle car shows. I spoke with them about reproducing the Freedom battery about three years back and the following year they advised that they were looking into it. Didn't see them this past Oct but Hershey is huge I only had one day. If I find their card I will post the info.
One problem that I encountered with a used original is that shipping is difficult...the sulfuric acid has to be removed to avoid a hazardous material designation....and that is not easy.

Attachments

• DCP_1478.jpg
    DCP_1478.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 279
Dear Big Dog,
The person is Delores at info@antiqueautobattery.com <info@antiqueautobattery.com>
(Antique Auto Battery, Hudson, OH...see site for 800 telephone number & address. I sent the info on the battery to her on 5/2/08...don't know if she did anything with it because I didn't think I saw it on their web site. If they have it, please let me know.
Have a happy holiday.
Rich

subscribed. I've been looking for an OEM one as well...(Heavy duty)

I just checke their site. Only goes up to 1976 Delco battery @$255!

Maybe they can do some custom repros for the 80's GM crowd.

I'm not surprised. I also imagine that they are looking at how many they can sell so it is profitable. With my car it is important to keep it as close to stock as possible. I do not know how many other makes used the same battery where they also want to keep it stock but I imagine the number it to be small.

If you buy one that needs to be shipped, make sure it is dry. I bought a used on here on turbo-buick.com However, he emailed and said there would be a delay because he had to drain the acid from the battery to avoid a hazardous material manifest. After attempting to drain thru the top, he proposed drilling holes in it. That is the last I heard and that was fine with me (I understand you can rehabilitate a used battery because the failure is a buildup of sludge (PbSO4 ???) that shorts out the plates which can be removed. If you want to contact him to see if he still has it, I can look up his contact info.

I think those batteries were also used on alot of other GM cars most notably the Corvettes. Might want to hit up a few of their clubs and see if they have any info. They're more anal than we are about originality. The 70's cars are jsut now starting to bring money, so I'm sure the 80's models won't be far behind.

Here is another reply form the battery company. We have not researched that battery yet. We do not know what it looks like. Do you have any info?

I have sent them a pictures. With help from a TB member.

I may have a few pics as well and I have spoken with a few other members with pics and info. If I can help, please let me know.

Maybe we can get a "group" together that could encourage the battery people to try making a repro for us. Ideally, a cost effective one... (ie: not $255:eek: )

OEM Battery up date

Thank you for the email. I do NOT have a topper for your application. I would just use a side post ac delco battery from your local GM dealer. That is what I use in my 87 GN. About theonly diff is the decals on the battery, as they change over time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Carl
This is from Legendary Battery Toppers. Still looking.

OEM Battery Up Date

Give a week or so to look in to that battery This is from Antique Auto Battery .

I've got the two that came out of my 1988 Chevrolet Dually. Are they the same?

I would imagine the battery could also be used in the fbody, vette, gbody, some bbodies, and I'm sure some of the FWD cars also.