Oil coming from V/C breathers...

FastB

I've searched this topic and found some good info...but wanted to ask anyways. I got oil coming out of my valve cover breathers (mainly on the driver side)...enough that it's running down into the #5 spark plug hole. I just put on Champion VC's and K&N breathers and it got worse..mainly cuz these breathers aren't angled.
From what I've read, I tested the stock PCV (which seems ok) but it had a check valve in-line that seems to fail the "blow/suck" test. I'm going to replace both just to be safe.
Thinking about buying the RJC PCV to put in line with a stock replacement and some of their angled breathers.
Other than this, the car runs and idles great...if anyone has any suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them...still learning this car and don't want to be running any high crankcase pressure.

I'm running 26#'s of boost...but the oil is coming out even if it doesn't get into boost.
There is no signs of milkshake in the oil or excessive smoke.

FastB said:
I've searched this topic and found some good info...but wanted to ask anyways. I got oil coming out of my valve cover breathers (mainly on the driver side)...enough that it's running down into the #5 spark plug hole. I just put on Champion VC's and K&N breathers and it got worse..mainly cuz these breathers aren't angled.
From what I've read, I tested the stock PCV (which seems ok) but it had a check valve in-line that seems to fail the "blow/suck" test. I'm going to replace both just to be safe.
Thinking about buying the RJC PCV to put in line with a stock replacement and some of their angled breathers.
Other than this, the car runs and idles great...if anyone has any suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them...still learning this car and don't want to be running any high crankcase pressure.

I'm running 26#'s of boost...but the oil is coming out even if it doesn't get into boost.
There is no signs of milkshake in the oil or excessive smoke.

What is happening to you is that your getting excessive crank case pressure and it has to vent somewhere. Need to get that fixed. Long term will eventually case all the time blowby. The purpose of the PVC is to prevent that pressure and blowby. Autozone sells a stock replacement that sells awesomely. The carry two versions. A little metal one, which is junk and lets are pass by as you blow on it. The second one that they carry is a plastic on and it sells great. I have bought several of them and change on the cars. No issues and does sell if I hit it with an air hose.

I'm assuming you mean "seal" not sell...

If its blow-by and you're not down on power, vent the front cover and be done. Once down on power then fix.

CGASTON said:
What is happening to you is that your getting excessive crank case pressure and it has to vent somewhere. Need to get that fixed. Long term will eventually case all the time blowby. The purpose of the PVC is to prevent that pressure and blowby. Autozone sells a stock replacement that sells awesomely. The carry two versions. A little metal one, which is junk and lets are pass by as you blow on it. The second one that they carry is a plastic on and it sells great. I have bought several of them and change on the cars. No issues and does sell if I hit it with an air hose.

The pcv doesnt prevent pressure. It's an emissions device to prevent blow by from escaping into the air. It will not reduce blow by under power. It needs a certain amount of vacuum to function. The OP needs a longer grommet that is slightly lower than the rocker arms to help prevent splash from entering the breather. Breathers are available with some oil control in them also. For extended WOT there will be blow by. The leakage past the ring has to go somewhere. If the air inlet is seeing 1000+cfm and the leakage is 5% you can see where the blow by is coming from. High cylinder pressure equals blow by. No blow by equals no power. Tighter ring gaps, tight piston to wall clearances, and better honing procedures and ring packages will reduce blow by. Some of the measures taken by manufacturers aren't a good idea on an engine that will be making 100+hp per hole. Like .010 top ring gaps and .0015 piston to wall clearance with hyper pistons. Great for reducing emissions and blow by and reducing bsfc but will not last in a high hp high cylinder pressure application.

How do u vent front cover?

Pop a hole in the fuel pump delete plate...its on the front cover DS. Buy a used one, pop a hole and install. There are some pics on this board.

With blow-by keep your eye on oil contamination. You may need to change your oil every 1000 miles.

As Bison mentioned, the PCV works only during vacuum. The check valve combined with the PCV valve will add restriction to your PCV system and may prevent it from working properly. I suggest removing the extra check valve and using only the stock PCV valve. Factory PCV valves are engineered to work with existing manifold vacuum and desired PCV flow rates. Installing another valve in this system will definitely affect the flow rates and the amount of vacuum being exposed to the PCV valve.

During WOT, the PCV system is closed and it is not handling any of the blowby from the power cylinders. At most, it may allow some manifold boost to leak into the crankcase backwards through the PCV, but for the most part this is very minimal as long as the correct PCV valve is used.

What's most important at WOT is the breather systems ability to vent the blowby out of the crankcase with minimum restriction. A good breather element will be very low restriction (it will have a big hole in it - about 1 inch diameter). A large breather passage is also important because it reduces the gas velocity and permits more of the oil droplets in the flow to fall out and drain back into the crankcase. Better yet is a pair of 2 low restriction open breathers.

Angling the breather elements vertically is also a good idea. This will help the breathers to drain oil back into the crankcase instead of allowing it drip externally.

I suggest using a stock PCV, no extra check valve. Check your breather elements for minimum ID, if only 1/2" or so, modify them for 1" ID. And mount the breathers vertically as you had planned.

Optionally you could also completely eliminate the PCV system and cap it off. The only dentriment is doing this is that you will smell the blowby at idle when driving and you may have to wipe oil off the valve cover a bit more frequently.