Oil filter housing R&R

PSU 98

I got a pretty significant oil leak after a routine oil change today. Luckily this happened in the garage and not on the road :poop: I looked around and it seems the likely source is the O-ring that goes behind the oil filter housing. I've never taken one of these off and don't want to break something or miss anything important, so the best instructions I found here say to, "Unscrew the center piece that the filter usually screws onto with a 7/8" socket, then the adapter simply slides off." Is this correct, and is there anything else I should know before doing the job?

Thanks for the info, and also the link, I was having trouble finding it on Kirban's site :)

Since it was after a oil filter change, check the old filter for the gasket. If the old filters gasket stays on the adapter along with the new filters gasket. This causes a large/huge oil leak.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks, that problem happened to my dad once, so I did check for double gaskets. Best I can figure is either I disturbed the housing enough during the filter change to damage the old o-ring, or adding new motor oil was enough to make the problem very noticeable. The biggest clue was the stream of oil shooting out of the space behind the adapter all over the crank pulley at idle :eek:

May be that the oil cooler adapter bolt came a tad loose. As the oil filter spins onto it. No matter, a new o-ring is the way to go. Hopefully the oil didn't saturate the accessory belt.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I had good luck using the O ring from a pf47 oil filter. Much thicker than stock, no shipping fee and available locally. I used the factory torque value too.

The replacement o-ring came in the mail today and I was able to tackle the job right away. I think the adapter bolt was a bit loose, but this is what the old o-ring looked like:

IMG_1432.JPG