Oil Filter Question ? Anyone ?

Mrneg9

Get Some !
Ive been running a Fram ph3980 oil filter with synthetic oil. I recently ordered some fram xg3387a filters which are designed for sythetic oil. If you look at the two filters side by side the xg fitler is smaller in length by about 2 inches. Now I dont put many miles on my car and change the oil about 2000 miles. Just wondering if the xg filter would be ok as far as oil pressure goes. ????

About 1987 fram quality went to crap and has stayed there, along with AC Delco and most others. Wix or a champion E-core for me now.

So......

Take the Fram filter off your car. Throw it as far as you can, Walk to where it landed and pick it up and throw it again......

Replace with Wix, Napa, Baldwin.....

Fram filter has no place on my car...Been there, used one for a new motor install knowing I was going to change the oil in 5 miles....first hit at 10 psi to seat the rings, it imploded !!! Crushed the metal internal cage....never again. I showed the guy at Autozone, he wanted to keep the filter, NO WAY, it is in the garage still to this day as a reminder.

Bryan

A big Baldwin B9 and RJC's "Biggie" oil filter adapter for me.

For my daily drivers,I go Purolator Classic. I actually cut one of those open and was surprised by the quality. Rubber anti drainback valve,neatly pleated media with a string tied in the center. It looked like a quality filter.

Baldwins for my GN,tho. Grainger,eBay... The Baldwin B9 makes the Delco PF47 look like a toy.

Like phoneguy,I don't do Frams.
...and watch some of those Delcos. If they have an E after the number,they are Walmart-cheapos.

Anyway,here's a cutaway of a Purolator Classic which I use in my DD's:

image.jpg

Last edited:
I run synthetic but only changed the oil cause it looked dirty as it had been a year since it was last done.

Ran across this pic on another site. Like other said they used to be good. Not so much now. Talked to someone at the local Advance Auto and he said they won't even carry the Fram oil filters anymore.
1.jpg

What synthetic? I ran synthetic in my GN when it was stock and wiped the cam 2 oil changes later. Here is the thing with these motors. They don't have roller lifters and need mire ZDDP than modern synthetics offer to keep a protection barrier between the cam and lifters....especially the turbo Buicks. Why? A manufacturing flaw. See, the lifter on a flat tappet motor is not supposed to be perfectly centered on top of the cam lobe. This causes the lifter to spin in the bore and wear properly on the cam. On our motors, the #3 exhaust lobe has the lifter bore centered over it. Unless you are using an oil that has plenty of zinc and phosphorous in it, there is a good chance you are going to wipe that lobe flat over time. Then the next thing you know, the car is slow, does not spool well, has a funny exhaust note when you drive along a wall that makes you think you have a header leak, etc. After doing a lot of reading and filtering out the BS, your best in store oil IMO is Valvoline VR1 conventional racing oil. I only use that and add a 1/2 bottle of ZDDPlus to every oil change. This opinion was derived after reading a bunch of Richard Clark's posts on the subject. Also NEVER use Fram again as others have said. Napa Gold or Wix are great filters that you can pick up at the corner store. Hope this helps.